Hornady Classic Single Stage Press question(s)

Steverino

Ok so I'm trying to set the press kit up and came across couple of issues - I'll need to get shell holders for the primer loader. But more importantly the shell holder on the RAM #11 on the press explosion in the manual has a clip on it. It appears this shell holder is part of the RAM and its also too small for my .44 cartridge cases by a tiny fraction even though my ruler says otherwise. I still can't fit it on and I'm afraid to push it. Not sure if I want to try and remove the clip to see what happens then. Can't find anything about this on Hornady's site wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks for looking.

This is the top of the RAM as pictured in the drawing explosion. BTW those scratches on the RAM I didn't put there maybe someone tried taking the clip off - I'm thinking this was opened as it was partly assembled also. Wondering if the previous buyer had the same problem?

I'm calling them Monday but if anyone can let me know what they think before I talk with Hornady I'd appreciate your expertise. Nothing worse than getting all psyched to set things up and something is amiss with your purchase. This is probably why it was 100.00 cheaper than Amazon .... Grrrrrrr

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8a3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8a3.jpeg
    978.1 KB · Views: 54
  • fullsizeoutput_8a4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8a4.jpeg
    976.3 KB · Views: 40
  • hornadyram.jpeg
    hornadyram.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Omega

Most modern shell holders (not plates) are universal for presses, some shell holders for other things such as trimmers and primers can be different though. The clip you see just holds the shell holder in place, do not remove it. Lee die sets come with a shell holder, other mfgs you have to buy caliber specific shell holders for each set. Some shell holders are for multiple calibers because they share the same parent case, there are many tables online that will tell you what holder you need per mfg and caliber.

DaveB

The spring clip is used to retain the shell holder in place. As mentioned shell holders can be of different styles, one for a primer tool and another for the press and both for the same caliber. If you at all resemble me, never buy just one shell holder for your press because when you cannot find it, you cannot load. I been buying two at a time and for 223 and 9 MM I buy 3 because my Primer device uses same style as press and I hate running back and forth swapping shell holders.

yeah, someone tried to pry the stainless steel bar into two pieces, not gonna end well. Get a shell holder and snap it in. then snap it out. then repeat until the process becomes routine. When you pop it out don't let it fly across the room or hit the floor and roll into oblivion. (why you think I buy 2?)

Steverino

The spring clip is used to retain the shell holder in place. As mentioned shell holders can be of different styles, one for a primer tool and another for the press and both for the same caliber. If you at all resemble me, never buy just one shell holder for your press because when you cannot find it, you cannot load. I been buying two at a time and for 223 and 9 MM I buy 3 because my Primer device uses same style as press and I hate running back and forth swapping shell holders.

yeah, someone tried to pry the stainless steel bar into two pieces, not gonna end well. Get a shell holder and snap it in. then snap it out. then repeat until the process becomes routine. When you pop it out don't let it fly across the room or hit the floor and roll into oblivion. (why you think I buy 2?)
Reminds me of the time I tried to clean the trigger action in a Glenfield .22 Rifle and launched the springs and little parts all over the room ....... back when I was young and stupid - now I'm old and stupid LOL.

Steverino

Thank you all for your comments - I thought about that but wasn't sure in fact I overthought about it. Will do I'll get at least 2. I plan to get some extras anyway like a new primer seater - I may just get the extras kit. Some good videos out there on this kit.

This is THE PLACE to go for wisdom.

Steverino

Using both rcbs and hornady shell holders with my lock n load. Both work fine.
I finally after umpteen tries found a company to buy Hornady shell holders from but all they'd sell was two. I snagged them. Very inexpensive I hope they are ok supposedly Hornady ..... I'll look around for the RCBS version just in case. Thanks.

Update ordered 4 RCBS on Amazon #18 for 44 mag and spl just in case - could not believe the Fleabay prices! These weren't cheap but they were new. This way I have 6.

Last edited:

Latest posts