Honda rancher 420 fuel mileage

nwsg76

My rancher is getting what I think is horrible fuel mileage. Just easing around mostly in 1st and 2nd gear is most of my driving. I am getting 40 to 50 miles per tank. Everything is stock. Running ethanol free gas. Anyone else having similar milage? Any way to adjust?

Andy S.

What year model? How big is your tank? EFI or carburetor?

For reference, my '96 Honda 300 4x4 gets 75-80 miles per tank (3 gallons), before I have to use the reserve portion (0.7 gallons) to get another 20 miles if needed. It is an older carbureted machine, with smaller 11" rims/tires, and a smaller 282 cc engine. Non-ethanol gas only, 100% stock machine, and riding around normal, not dogging it, mudding or pulling anything.

Last edited:

nwsg76

What year model? How big is your tank? EFI or carburetor?

For reference, my '96 Honda 300 4x4 gets 75-80 miles per tank (3 gallons), before I have to use the reserve portion (0.7 gallons) to get another 20 miles if needed. It is an older carbureted machine, with smaller 11" rims/tires, and a smaller 282 cc engine. Non-ethanol gas only, 100% stock machine, and riding around normal, not dogging it, mudding or pulling anything.
Andy you help me buy this from a buddy of yours.its been a great machine.
Its a 2007 model. It has 3.5 gallon tank. Fuel injection.
I filled it up to the top of tank last week. Now has little less than half of tank with 16.6 miles on display.

Andy S.

Oh yeah, my coworker and friend Mike. I almost bought that ATV myself, but the timing was not right. Nice machine for sure. Do you smell any gas? I doubt it's leaking, just thinking out loud.

hillbillyfab

I too have a '07 Rancher. It seems to run on the richer side of things. The tail pipe will have black soot on it. The reason I say this is, it will foul the plug once about every two years. Now keep in mind, if it gets started and ran once a week, that's a lot for us. Fuel gets added maybe every two months. It hasn't thrown any codes, as of yet. It will just become hard to start, then eventually not start at all. I'm not doubting that there isn't something not operating at 100%, but sometimes I think it's because it doesn't get ran at operating/warm temperature for a length of time. It's usually short rides around our place and then turned back off.

Andy S.

I did a fair amount of research last night on Honda ATV forums and it appears the Rancher 420s are known for the backfire when decelerating under load. As mentioned, it's likely because it is running too rich or too lean. One guy said the previous owner ran ethanol gas in his Rancher, and after talking with the dealership, he changed the spark plug, only ran ethanol free and to date it has not back fired any more. He was one of the few that offered a sound solution to his backfiring. A spark plug is cheap and worth a try. I'd also check air filter and spark arrestor on the muffler to make sure they are clean.

megalomaniac

I also have an 07 Rancher. I usually get 50 to 55 miles before hitting the reserve... so not great, but not terrible either IMO...

I also have two Honda 300s... they both get better fuel milage for sure.

bhud84

I have a recon.. I started using more fuel than I thought as well.. I noticed fuel pouring out of my drain tube at the bottom of the carb sometimes.. Found out my float was sticking... Bought a new carb and it quit leaking... Lol..

Latest posts