Honda place called

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled
Well it appears I was right. You can watch all the youtube you want but a four wheeler is not a boat.
$1,200 to fix it.
Where is that crying icon thingy?

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled
Yes it went swimming and apparently water got in the oil.
Knee deep I can see.
When only the handle bars are out of the water.....nit so much.

Grizzly Johnson

2-Step Enabled
$1,200 good gosh.....

Drain the oil, refill, and run for a little while to warm up.... repeat until oil keeps its honey color..... milky color is a sign of water in the oil.

Check gearcase oil for signs of water..... if milky, change it until normal color. Check gas for water, check airbox for water, change filter if needed.... if carb seems dirty, run a cleaner in the gas.....

If I had to pay $1,200 everytime an ATV got baptized when I was a kid, I'd be broke.....

Deer Assassin

Supporter
Grizzly Johnson said:
$1,200 good gosh.....

Drain the oil, refill, and run for a little while to warm up.... repeat until oil keeps its honey color..... milky color is a sign of water in the oil.

Check gearcase oil for signs of water..... if milky, change it until normal color. Check gas for water, check airbox for water, change filter if needed.... if carb seems dirty, run a cleaner in the gas.....

If I had to pay $1,200 everytime an ATV got baptized when I was a kid, I'd be broke.....

ditto ditto

rem270

Supporter
Ouch!!!! That sucks..

I ruined an 02 Rancher like that.. My 09 Rancher will never see the water. Strictly for hunting.

Its fun creek riding but gets expensive :D

BuckWild

Supporter
Do like Griz says but if you can get some petroleum based cleaning solvent and put it in instead of oil. Run til warm and drain. Repeat this 2 or 3 times then add oil and new filter. Been there done that...got the T-shirt

Wildcat

Supporter
That's bad. I would try what the others said, heck if you have their phone numbers call them up.

Handlebars sticking above water????

Maybe it's time to tell Man there is no tooth fairy and no Santa Claus.

09FX4

Try what grizzly said. Did the same thing to my Brute Force a while back. Changed oil, filters and fluids a couple times and its good as new. Good luck!

TRIGGER

ruger7mag said:
X2 on what grizzly said. I have sunk one several times.

The trick is knowing when to shut it down and drain the oil. Doesn't take long to ruin one (just a few minutes if you even get that)

Kimber45

If he ran it any time at all with muddy water in the oil, you may as well spend it. The OLD Honda would stand lots more abuse but the newers ones, and yamahas too, not so much.
My boys did the same thing with a :

2008 Yamaha
2003 Honda

Bad outcome with both. One road longer than the other following and had to have crank etc.. Other was smarter and only had to have a top end job.

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled
They said it had to have a top end overhaul and the bottom end had to be taken apart and cleaned.

I would have tried it myself or get someone else to do it but with it smoking I figured he had cracked a ring or something.

TRIGGER

RUGER said:
They said it had to have a top end overhaul and the bottom end had to be taken apart and cleaned.

I would have tried it myself or get someone else to do it but with it smoking I figured he had cracked a ring or something.

I would let them fix it and hope everyone learned a valuable lesson.

redblood

Supporter
RUGER said:
Yes it went swimming and apparently water got in the oil.
Knee deep I can see.
When only the handle bars are out of the water.....nit so much.

did u drive off a river bank?

Latest posts