Honda fourtrax front wheels locking up

Rebel

I have an older fourtrax that runs like a spotted ape engine wise but without warning the front wheels tend to lock up. In fact, the rims get so hot that some of the paint peeled off. I took it to a shop and when they looked at it, the wheels were rolling free again... Last season however they locked up again and after leaving it sitting for a couple of hours it was fine again... If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks

hillbillyfab

2wd or 4wd? The reason ask is it would take both wheel bearings to foul up to lock up the tires at the same time, both calipers, etc. If it's 4wd ID disconnect the front shaft and see if the problem still shows up and go from there.

jlanecr500

If the wheels are getting hot, The master cylinder is not allowing the front calipers to relax. A good fluid flush helps too. It is not such an uncommon problem. Sometimes, the front brake lever isn't fully returning to allow the fluid to return to the reservoir. After letting it sit, the pressure bleeds off and all is well until you ride for a while and actuate the brakes a bunch.

Rebel

jlanecr500":xx749ql4 said:
If the wheels are getting hot, The master cylinder is not allowing the front calipers to relax. A good fluid flush helps too. It is not such an uncommon problem. Sometimes, the front brake lever isn't fully returning to allow the fluid to return to the reservoir. After letting it sit, the pressure bleeds off and all is well until you ride for a while and actuate the brakes a bunch.

The one guy who looked at it said he thought it was the brakes but he wasn't sure about what it was doing as the wheels weren't locked up when he looked at it. I did notice the front brake lever had some play in it though. That may be it... thanks

gtk

Staff member
do the process of elimination. pull the front brakes pads off, or adjust them way in, ride for a while & see if it happens. if it does, it is either front txfer case problems, or cv joints locking somehow.

brakes shouldn't just "lock" up on their own.

Latest posts