Homemade Windicators

TN Whitetail Freak

Found another use for my old scent wafer pods.

Step 1 find you some milk weed pods on the edge of crop fields somewhere

Step 2 dry them out and pull out all milkweed and bag them

Step 3 take a 3/16 bit and thread you a hole in the top of the wafer pod

Step 4 fill with milkweed using a spoon to mash it (sticks to your fingers)

Step 5 once filled put top on

Step 6 take a small bit or tweezers and pull out the first milkweed

Done all other milkweed should come up when u pull on the first one. Refill as needed and check that wind

catman529

Dang that's a cool idea, never thought of making a dispenser like that. Need to go pick me some milkweed soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN Whitetail Freak

..with milk weed I've seen it run out 15 yds and do a 90 degree turn....I've also had it do the same thing and go straight up in the trees......most of the time when a deer is downwind hunters get away without getting busted...I theorize the wind current is doing something like this but more times than not hunters credit there scent away which probably helps

catman529

TN Whitetail Freak":1ucrwtny said:
..with milk weed I've seen it run out 15 yds and do a 90 degree turn....I've also had it do the same thing and go straight up in the trees......most of the time when a deer is downwind hunters get away without getting busted...I theorize the wind current is doing something like this but more times than not hunters credit there scent away which probably helps
scent killers are better for leaving less scent trail when you walk in...if a deer is downwind and the wind carries your scent to the deer's nose, doesn't matter how much scent killer you took a bath in, it can still smell you. I too agree the wind makes weird turns, and also goes up and down a lot, which is how deer can come in from all directions and not smell you because you're 20 feet up and the wind is different up there.

catman529

TN Whitetail Freak":17t2weqr said:
I'm gonna try to get some video of the milkweed and how it dances
be good practice with the manual focus, that takes some getting used to with the little knob they put on there.

TN Whitetail Freak

catman529":15zkj2bw said:
TN Whitetail Freak":15zkj2bw said:
be good practice with the manual focus, that takes some getting used to with the little knob they put on there.

One of the cons along with no lanc port for the 750 but overall a great starter cam

catman529

TN Whitetail Freak":1au6sahe said:
catman529":1au6sahe said:
TN Whitetail Freak":1au6sahe said:

One of the cons along with no lanc port for the 750 but overall a great starter cam
never thought of that, I dont have too much trouble with the controls as is, but could see the benefit of remote buttons. I'm not paying much more than I did for the camera unless I was actually making good money doing video. Sure filming is a hobby but 500 is plenty enough for me to spend on just the camera. Thats the most expensive thing for deer season I will buy this year, and hope it will last me a couple years.

Muy Grande

TN Whitetail Freak":3eiwjr8j said:

I'm sure Dan Infalt over at TheHuntingBeast.com has some videos showing the uses of milkweed, how to read a topo map, and how bucks bed in hill country related to elevation and wind tunnels. That seems to be where you're getting all of your info that you're bringing here anyways.

tree_ghost

Muy Grande":1vicrimq said:
TN Whitetail Freak":1vicrimq said:

I'm sure Dan Infalt over at TheHuntingBeast.com has some videos showing the uses of milkweed, how to read a topo map, and how bucks bed in hill country related to elevation and wind tunnels. That seems to be where you're getting all of your info that you're bringing here anyways.
Well Dan is an excellent hunter with proven results...seems to make sense to pay attention to what he is saying...just my .02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Muy Grande":2h0bubtz said:
TN Whitetail Freak":2h0bubtz said:

Whats wrong with sharing information? I do not visit that site and TN whitetail freak has made it known that he learned his buck bed mapping info him.

TN Whitetail Freak

Muy Grande":6ggqkli5 said:
TN Whitetail Freak":6ggqkli5 said:

I posted this thread on that site also and no haven't seen a video of milkweed movements and yes everything I post is what I've learned from discussions on that site.....your point please?

Winchester

Milkweed works great as you can actually watch it travel over distance and see how the wind swirls and undercurrents at work. You don't get this luxury with most other windicators.

Latest posts