Holding mature bucks

Andy S.

Cover and security is king, hands down. 3-5 acre impenetrable thickets will do wonders for holding mature bucks, and they will be small enough that you will have a good chance of seeing the bucks in daylight if they get up to move. Treat these areas as sanctuaries and do not go into them unless you have to retrieve a deer.

lungpuncher1

Low pressure is king.

I've seen studs lay up in crp or open woods. But put some pressure on them and they are gone.

They know where to bed and when to bed there no matter the cover. But you put alot of pressure on them and they are gone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

cbhunter

diamond hunter":aym8jham said:
OK,what type cover do you guys consider the best?

3-10 year cutover is great. My personal preference is 20+ acres of fields that are completely overgrown with briers and such. I have seen/killed many of mature bucks out of those types of fields

Ladys man

cbhunter":11i0eb4i said:
diamond hunter":11i0eb4i said:
OK,what type cover do you guys consider the best?

3-10 year cutover is great. My personal preference is 20+ acres of fields that are completely overgrown with briers and such. I have seen/killed many of mature bucks out of those types of fields

I agree but hate retrieving part of that lol

southernhunter

lungpuncher1":h0x1dudk said:
Low pressure is king.

I've seen studs lay up in crp or open woods. But put some pressure on them and they are gone.

They know where to bed and when to bed there no matter the cover. But you put alot of pressure on them and they are gone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
x2 , mature bucks don't hang out where they are constantly threatened. Food and cover is great and very much needed but to me hunting pressure is the number one key to holding mature bucks and deer in general. I have seen mature bucks live in subdivision where hunters don't pressure them or in other words don't consistently interrupt their daily activities.