Holding mature bucks

catman529

Grown up CRP field where the saplings get too thick to navigate, and stay the heck out of there. If a deer doesn't have a place it can hide when people hunt all around, it won't have a reason to stay there. Especially an older buck that would tend to be the most elusive of all deer.

Mike Belt

Areas like these also prove to be cruising grounds connecting timber to timber of fields. Hard to see into them but hunting the edges may be the ticket.

Winchester

Goes back to good cover, its a must and you need a sanctuary area that rarely or never gets disturbed by people to help hold Mature bucks.

Hunter 257W

Several million dollars to buy enough land helps more than anything i am aware of. :) Being that most of us don't have that, letting thickets grow up that you never hunt is the best thing as the others said. Of course the MATURE part is going to be mighty hard to achieve if you have many hunters in your area. All it takes is for one hunter to see the deer and they'll tell somebody else then they will hunt the surrounding area to death trying to kill the buck. I've about given up on any realistic chance of ever getting a 4 year old buck. They hardly even exist on my trail cameras. Still thickets are going to pay off in holding any and all deer on your land as much as any single piece of property can "hold" a deer

Latest posts