• Help Support TNDeer:

Hog Plan

Nimrod777

Supporter
I'm scheduled to go on an Ironman Outdoors hog hunting retreat here in just over a week. Despite the fact that I have very little hog hunting experience, I'm trying to plan for success. Just wondering, when it comes to processing a hog, is there anything I need to know beyond what I'm accustomed to doing when processing my own deer? I've got a grinder, and am thinking it's a great chance at making some sausage, but don't want to be guilty of grinding up some cuts I should be enjoying intact.

Omega

Noted!
Also, is the quality of the fat such that I should save all I can for grind mixing with venison?
I think it will depend on what they are feeding on, the ones I got in TX were not too fatty so no real 'extra' fat was to be had. But if they are feeding on corn, beans etc, they may be fat enough to save some. Wild hog that I dealt with don't have the fat that domestic hog have, but mixing some less choice cuts into your venison would work ok, the one I used for venison summer sausage worked real well.

FTG-05

Noted!
Also, is the quality of the fat such that I should save all I can for grind mixing with venison?
Feral hogs or farm-raised hogs?

The former work for a living; I doubt they'll have much fat if any. Same reason they don't much bacon either.

The latter? Hell yes! I got about 45 lbs of lard from my two farm-raised hogs (Holder Farms, Belividere, TN) last year.

ImThere

Cutting it up is pretty straight forward. Find you a good chart picture for your phone so you know what meat you’re cutting. (You may already know, I didn’t) it will make it easier on you. Not much fat on them. Great meat! Good luck!
Wear gloves they carry some nasty germs/ diseases

Pilchard

Wild pigs are lean like deer. Their fat also is not nearly as good as domestic pork when it comes to flavor. I cut all my wild pig sausage with fat from the butcher.

It also must be cooked low and slow. You have to cook it well done and the lack of fat turns a chop into a hockey puck.... I killed many each year in Florida and they were all sausage. I would buy a pork shoulder from publix when I wanted pulled pork.

waynesworld

Brucella is common in wild hogs so you really need to listen to what the people above said about gloves. Also watch for getting anything by your mouth. Cover any open wounds, cook meat. And this is one place a mask would help :)

Carlos

I can't add anything, much, everyone's already covered the key points.

One thing you may consider is saving the head from your first hog. They look almost unrecognizable to most people. I wouldn't spend much money on it, but a Euro hog mount DIY would work well.

Anybody tried that?

Huntaholic

If you kill a boar, they are as good as a sow to eat IF you take care when field dressing and butchering. On each side of his penis will be a sack filled gland with some NASTY yellow pusslike substance in it. DO NOT field dress in the same manner as a deer! Give that area a WIDE berth when dressing paying extra attention to not cut into those gland pockets. I typically don't even bother field dressing hogs any more. Instead I break them down without getting into the body cavity.

Nimrod777

Supporter
I appreciate the input about safety while processing. I had wondered about that. I'll skip the lightweight latex gloves and look for some heavier gauge.

And that reminder about how cheap pork shoulders are in the stores is a good one, especially if quality of the cooked product is going to be less than domestic. Guess it's time to look up a good sausage spice recipe!

And a good-sized Euro mount could be quite interesting!

Now all I have to do is shoot one :D

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts