Hobos

Rebel

Rebel

Supporter
Pressfit's excellent thread on Professional Beggars made me think of a true story by Paul Harvey that I'd like to share. The word "Hobo" is a coined word that came together in the late 1800's to early 1900's.

After the Civil War ended, southern soldiers came home to a shattered economy. Their homes, farms, and plantations were burned out, brothers and fathers killed off in battle. Wives, sisters and family moved away. These young soldiers who had given so much to defend their country came back home to nothing.

Contrary to what most of us have been taught, most southerners didn't own slaves and most of the few people who did own slaves worked in the fields right alongside the blacks. Our country, especially the south was mostly agrarian and most of these former soldiers knew the trade of farming. So, with little more than the worn out shoes on their feet, threadbare clothing, and a farming implement or two, usually a hoe, these young men drifted from town to town looking for work plying the only other trade they knew. They lived in the woods, off the land and wherever they could find shelter. They traveled from town to town and often hitchhiked on trains. They worked wherever a field needed tending. They started out with the nickname of Hoe Boys... In the later years they became known as Hobos...

Big Ben

Big Ben

A bit off but I remember when my SIL and husband first married, They rented a house in Bowling Green, Ky that RR tracks ran past the back yard. I know some have heard the storys of a Hobo tagging a house where a handout could be had. Well they got hit up near every day and not by the same ones. Got her husband looking for why and he found a can lid nail to a tree by their house. He removed that lid and the Hobo's stopped the next day.

D

dbierman

Big Ben":dlooqljm said:
A bit off but I remember when my SIL and husband first married, They rented a house in Bowling Green, Ky that RR tracks ran past the back yard. I know some have heard the storys of a Hobo tagging a house where a handout could be had. Well they got hit up near every day and not by the same ones. Got her husband looking for why and he found a can lid nail to a tree by their house. He removed that lid and the Hobo's stopped the next day.

What does SIL stand for???

D

Dale3

Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackson county(Gainsboro)
dbierman":88ocgrwn said:
Big Ben":88ocgrwn said:

sister-in-law
learn something new every day on TnDeer :)

D

dbierman

Dale3":2qs69ec8 said:
dbierman":2qs69ec8 said:
Big Ben":2qs69ec8 said:

sister-in-law
learn something new every day on TnDeer :)

Oh, all I could come up with was "son in law"... :bash:

BuckWild

BuckWild

Supporter
When I was a kid back in the 60's, Hobos were a pretty common sight around south Jackson,TN where I grew up. There was a hobo camp under a RR bridge out on Perry Switch Rd. My great aunt and uncle lived out there and she fed the hobos after they would do some work around the house. Uncle Irv had lost both legs in WWII and was wheelchair bound. Aunt Callie would cook food and always had a plate of biscuits out on the front porch. They would weed the garden or cut and stack firewood and do other chores around the house and barn that Aunt Callie had a hard time doing. They were both in their 60's at the time.

I remember waking up at their house when I would go stay with them, and some mornings there would be a half dozen hobos sleeping on their porch. One particular incident that has always stood out in my mind is one day one of my cousins asked Aunt Callie why she made the hobos work for food. Why didn't she just feed them?

She replied that most of these men were good men that were just down on their luck. When she gave them a job to do, it made the men feel as though they had earned the meal.

She said if I just wanted to give them food, they were no better than beggars. And nobody wants to be a beggar...

D

Dale3

Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackson county(Gainsboro)
What does SIL stand for???[/quote]
sister-in-law
learn something new every day on TnDeer :)[/quote]

Oh, all I could come up with was "son in law"... :bash:[/quote]

Well i guess it could be "Son in law". :shock: :? :rotf:
It have helped if dbierman was PC,then he have used ZIL(Z-in-law) and we not have this issue

V

vonb

The first time dad took me hunting, I was probably 5 or 6. We were hunting rabbits that day but kicking up brush along a creek line. We came to the railroad tracks and I can distinctively remember hobos sitting around a fire warming themselves and having fingerless gloves on. That area today where we were hunting is known as Crockett Park in Brentwood, TN.

Latest posts