Hippo tooth for coyote call

Yotehntr

Thought I'd show some of the process I go through with Hippo tooth ivory making tone boards. I bought a few a while back and started the process. Takes some time and effort but there's just something about 'em I just like.

Stuck a AA battery in for size reference.

61231928983-96855-ACB-46-B8-4-C55-B0-CC-A91773-DB08-FE.jpg

I don't get to hand pick these so I get some that won't work. They're partially hollow and sometimes to much so. My finger is in the same spot in the 2 following pics.

IMG-7540.jpg

IMG-7541.jpg

After cutting the hollow section off (or at least most of it) I turn them down to dimension. Then cut them to length... sounds like not much effort when I write it down like that but I have several hours in them at this point.

Here I've just turned them round and avoid rotten parts/worn etc. Try to get the best section of the tooth. They almost always have cracks and I fill them with super glue and put them in non stress area's (especially away from the ramp)

Hippo.jpg

At this point they are turned to the 5/8" and cut to length. I'll cut the step down and o-ring grooves in next.

IMG-7538.jpg

Yotehntr

The next step I center drilled and then drilled my air channel (about 1/2" deep).

IMG-7545.jpg

After that I turn my step down into the barrel end.

Capture.jpg

IMG-7552.jpg

Then comes my o-ring grooves, I use a parting/cut off tool for that.

Capture1.jpg

IMG-7554.jpg

IMG-7555.jpg

The next step will be cutting the ramps in.

Last edited:

Yotehntr

I had to put in some serious time on this step. I have to set up the mill and "square" the rotary table up. After set up I have a fixture that clamps/holds the tone boards. Since I don't want to shatter the hippo ivory I only take .025 off on every pass. I set the blank in taking into consideration any defect in the blank hoping to cut it out with the ramp and air channel.

I'm use a rotary table on my mini mill to cut the ramp.
I know it doesn't look like much work but here's about 10 hours of standing in front of the mill for that step. 15 tone boards are 1 step closer.

IMG-7580.jpg

I put the blank into the fixture and level it by eye... actually I set a piece of metal on it to lengthen the view but it's by eye. I have to square up the fixture to the mill so I cut a straight line, use an edge finder to then do a little math to make sure I cut the slot down the middle. I pretty much figure the depth by eye also.

IMG-7581.jpg

IMG-7582.jpg

IMG-7583.jpg

I'll have to cut a slot (by hand) with the scroll saw and fit a reed for them, I usually do that after I've turned a barrel for one of them. I just like to get the "bulk" of this work done in advance.

Yotehntr

Next I cut a slot (by hand) with the scroll saw and fit a reed for them, I usually do that after I've turned a barrel for one of them. I just like to get the "bulk" of this work done in advance.

I draw a line with a pencil of where I want to cut the slot, then carefully using a very sharp blade (ivory is very hard) cut the line. Sorry no action pics I've been taking pics with one hand while operating equipment with the other. I can't do that on the scroll saw! lol.

IMG-7594.jpg

After buffing it out... BTW I put a finish on the toneboard while it's round but not on the ramp. I want the material to have it's proper sound. (Ivory sound like an ivory call, horn... etc).

IMG-7596.jpg

IMG-7595.jpg

I already had a barrel turned from a really nice piece of black walnut a buddy of mine and I cut in Beachgroove Tn.

IMG-7598.jpg

IMG-7599.jpg

IMG-7597.jpg

Latest posts