Hide and seek I'm tried of playing!

S

Stilltrying

Is it just me or have the deer left the country I live in Sylvia which is in dickson and I've been in the woods a lot. I was seeing deer all the time everywhere. For the last 3 weeks only seen 4 does. Where are they at?

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Have you tried ag fields in the evenings? Prob your best bet right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

scn

Supporter
"I've been in the woods a lot."

That may be one of your issues right there. If you have put a lot of pressure on the property, the deer may have been forced off of the property (particularly if it is small) onto adjoining properties with less pressure. Or, they may have been pressured into a nocturnal pattern. It doesn't take much pressure to see a major drop in sightings on a property.

S

Stilltrying

No ag fields around just a ton of oak trees. Yes I tho. bout me being the problem i have put a lot of time in the woods. Been hunting a big thicket for the last week away from where from my other spots. I know things are slow this time of yr. But I've always seen deer in the past. The thicket is where I need to be right?

S

scn

Supporter
If you don't have ag fields around, you might want to be checking the area with your heaviest growth of honeysuckle and greenbriar. Once the acorns are gone, those are major food sources for deer this time of year. And, with the colder than the seasonal average weather that is going on, south facing slopes can get more activity as well.

S

Stilltrying

K man thanks not a lot food sources around but the acorns. I will be putting out food plots for next year for sure, but for now it is what it is. Might have go to our farm in Cumberland furnace. But I've been chasing bout a 14pt. Or bigger and it's killing me

B

BlackBelt

scn is spot on with his assessment. When the pressure is on they head into the thickest nastiest scrub they can find.
I have the same issue and the last two weeks of every deer season I head to the downwind side of the thickest ugliest scrub patch and find whatever shooting lane I can and get and set up on it.
I am usually successful.
I always carry my brush snips because usually to recover the deer I have to cut my way in and cut my way out while dragging the deer.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Stilltrying":2s04h79h said:
K man thanks not a lot food sources around but the acorns. I will be putting out food plots for next year for sure, but for now it is what it is. Might have go to our farm in Cumberland furnace. But I've been chasing bout a 14pt. Or bigger and it's killing me

Do you have any pics of him?

SCN gave you some solid advice.