Hidden deals that need to be known?

Shed Hunter

I'm looking to add a few more by the time scraping starts. I thought I'd post this thread for everyone to share their trail cam deal finds.

If anyone comes across any Covert deals in particular please do share :)

BSK

I'm not posting any deals until I've bought all I need! :p Over the last couple of years, the "hot" new cameras sell out in August or early September. Last year I could only get 2 of what I wanted and had to get 4 of the previous year's model because the new "hot" one sold out so fast.

TheLBLman

Remember what you're wanting most first & foremost, and paying for, which is getting good pics of what's coming by your cam locations, reliably.

You don't have to spend a fortune, but generally speaking, lower cost cams tend to perform less reliably than cams that cost a little more.

I love finding "deals", but waiting to find better deals can sometimes mean missing some valuable pics and experiences as well, which may not be such a good deal.

One thing I found by using several different brands & makes of cams was my human user error was much higher, say than compared to using only a couple brands or makes. Little things like walking away, not realizing the cam was in a non-working order, then not finding that out for over a month.

Mr.Bro

I may pay a few dollars more when i purchase a new camera, which i did this morning. It comes with a 90 guarantee, extended 2 year warranty, 16gb card, free 2 day shipping and get this. no tax. Yes Trailcampro. My new Browning should be here Thursday. Think about it when you find it elsewhere a few dollars cheaper.

Antler Daddy

I may pay a few dollars more when i purchase a new camera, which i did this morning. It comes with a 90 guarantee, extended 2 year warranty, 16gb card, free 2 day shipping and get this. no tax. Yes Trailcampro. My new Browning should be here Thursday. Think about it when you find it elsewhere a few dollars cheaper.
I thought everybody was charging tax now.

Mr.Bro

I'm not posting any deals until I've bought all I need! :p Over the last couple of years, the "hot" new cameras sell out in August or early September. Last year I could only get 2 of what I wanted and had to get 4 of the previous year's model because the new "hot" one sold out so fast.
Agree BSK. Found that Bushnell DC in stock Sunday. Waited till Monday to order and try it out. Yep they were out Monday morning.

BSK

One thing I found by using several different brands & makes of cams was my human user error was much higher, say than compared to using only a couple brands or makes. Little things like walking away, not realizing the cam was in a non-working order, then not finding that out for over a month.
I don't know if it's using a mix of different types of cameras, or just my own stupidity/distractedness, but every year - and I mean EVERY year - I have at least one episode of "forgetting to turn the camera on." And I get so mad at myself when that happens, because my mantra when checking cameras is "DON'T FORGET TO TURN THE CAMERA BACK ON!"

Kirk

I don't know if it's using a mix of different types of cameras, or just my own stupidity/distractedness, but every year - and I mean EVERY year - I have at least one episode of "forgetting to turn the camera on." And I get so mad at myself when that happens, because my mantra when checking cameras is "DON'T FORGET TO TURN THE CAMERA BACK ON!"
I have done that a few times too. I stand on the back rack frame of my ATV and reach as high as I can reach and place my cameras and angle them down. One would think that after going to this much trouble and aggravation I would remember to turn the dang thing back on. Nope...forgot to at least twice last year.

themanpcl

I have, for the past 2 yrs, been trying the inexpensive trail cams off Am***n. I have been having great success with them and they are <$50 each. Don't know how long they will last but so far, I'm pleased with the pic quality and trigger speed. They have many of the features of the more expensive cams. I have a couple of cell cams as well but the other 6 on the property are <$50 off brands. I figure if I get 4 yrs out of them, I'm even.

BSK

I have, for the past 2 yrs, been trying the inexpensive trail cams off Am***n. I have been having great success with them and they are <$50 each. Don't know how long they will last but so far, I'm pleased with the pic quality and trigger speed. They have many of the features of the more expensive cams. I have a couple of cell cams as well but the other 6 on the property are <$50 off brands. I figure if I get 4 yrs out of them, I'm even.
If they suit your needs, and paid less than $50 for them, you're way ahead of the game.

TheLBLman

One would think that after going to this much trouble and aggravation I would remember to turn the dang thing back on. Nope...forgot to at least twice last year.
I do this at least twice every year.
Some cams are more fool-proof than others, i.e. some just have "on or off", so if you're changing settings, the cam will start working after you walk off.

But with others, there is "off - settings - on", and when you're changing a setting, if you don't afterwards then switch it to "on", the cam doesn't take any pics. This can be confusing because the cam is actually "on" (screen lit up) while you're adjusting settings, but just requires an additional switching to "on" to then work.

Another issue is accidently changing a setting you didn't mean to change, such as accidently turning a cell cam's transmission feature off (for use as a regular trail cam), then not realizing that until days later, no pics transmitted, you go back and see it had been accidently changed.

The more various makes & models of cams you utilize, the easier it becomes to make these human user errors.

TheLBLman

Also, I've had some cams that would appear "on" and fully functional, WITHOUT an SD card in place! When you come back a month later, you will have no pics, simply because you forgot to insert a new SD card.

BSK

Also, I've had some cams that would appear "on" and fully functional, WITHOUT an SD card in place! When you come back a month later, you will have no pics, simply because you forgot to insert a new SD card.
Oh now that would truly suck!

TheLBLman

Oh now that would truly suck!
Ask me how I know! Have done it several times.

Among the various cams I've utilized, I've found the Brownings among the most fool-proof, which has been a big plus for me. Their switch is simply "off" or "on", and they won't power to "on" without an SD card in place.

But that hasn't kept me from accidently deleting the pics on an SD card in the cam, erroneously thinking I had already exchanged it, then later realizing I had deleted the pics I came to retrieve. You find out stuff like that when you later review a blank SD card, but know the card in the cam you had checked was showing over a thousand pics.

BSK

But that hasn't kept me from accidently deleting the pics on an SD card in the cam, erroneously thinking I had already exchanged it, then later realizing I had deleted the pics I came to retrieve. You find out stuff like that when you later review a blank SD card, but know the card in the cam you had checked was showing over a thousand pics.
Been there, done that. Until last year, I really didn't have a good system of keeping track of the SD cards I had pulled, and the cards to exchange them with. I've accidentally put a card I had just pulled from one camera into another camera and then blanked it. Great Gravy that kind of thing pisses me off! How could I be so stupid!

I finally bought some of those "card holders" to keep the SD cards organized in. One for cards just pulled and one for cards to be loaded. So far (knock on wood) I haven't confused to two card holders.

Shed Hunter

This thread turned out pretty good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trail cam bloopers still! 😂

LBLman-I've got a ton of cheap stealth cams I bought on a deal. Some work amazing. A few have messed up. It's not worth it for them to crap out on me as much money and time as I spend running cameras. Even my deer season is primarily spent running cameras rather than hunting.

I have great luck with the cheaper Covert models. Have yet to have an issue. Particularly the MP series work very well for me. Sometimes I find them on sale but same issue y'all have they're gone immediately. I have branched out and tried browning and always have been a fan of bushnell.

BSK

I have great luck with the cheaper Covert models. Have yet to have an issue. Particularly the MP series work very well for me. Sometimes I find them on sale but same issue y'all have they're gone immediately. I have branched out and tried browning and always have been a fan of bushnell.
In my opinion, you're playing around with the top three brands: Browning, Bushnell, Covert.

TheLBLman

In my opinion, you're playing around with the top three brands: Browning, Bushnell, Covert.
Generally agree, at least "for the money".
Those are providing good values, good features, good reliability relative to their costs of purchase AND operation.

I was pleased with my first Coverts, but had significant issues with their first cell cam, then later water-leak issues with the non-cell ones. Covert was on the forefront of offering a cell cam, so I guess having problems should have been expected. I'm currently not running any Coverts, but do believe they're comparable to the Brownings in overall price/value. The Covert service people were always very helpful.

TheLBLman

Truth is, most brands are now offering fairly reliable trail cams now at reasonable prices. One in particular I once shunned was Moultrie. But having experimented with some of theirs over the past couple years, they seem comparable to most others, i.e. overall good value for their price points.

Latest posts