Hevi shot shells

Trevor2

wrcox said:
Thanks for all the input. I think I will be trying the mag blend out. I'm using the super full choke that came with the gun its a remington ultra mag turkey special again thanks for input
might want to reconsider that. Its not recommended to shoot hevi shot through factory chokes! I'm using a ssx. 643 in my 870 with magblends does great.

Coach

Trevor2 said:
wrcox said:
Thanks for all the input. I think I will be trying the mag blend out. I'm using the super full choke that came with the gun its a remington ultra mag turkey special again thanks for input
might want to reconsider that. Its not recommended to shoot hevi shot through factory chokes! I'm using a ssx. 643 in my 870 with magblends does great.

I didn't know this...I have a new Winchester SXP Turkey Hunter with the factory turkey choke. I picked up some Hevi shot 4's...are you saying I need to change the choke to shoot them?

Grizzly Johnson

I believe the Remington turkey/predator factory extended chokes are HD rated.... I will do some checking.

To be sure, you would have to check with your specific shotgun manufacturer.

woodsman87

Back when hevi-shot first come out, or when I first saw it and bought it, I had no clue what it was or what the difference was. When I saw 20% denser than lead, I thought it was just a silly advertisement but bought them anyways. These were my favorite shells. It was back when Remington made them, they were hard to beat.
My story is, since I was ignorant into what these really were, I shot them out of my factory remington choke, and did so for several years until I somewhere finally realized what these shot were made of, and then saw that they had specially designed chokes. I will probably not do it anymore, but as far as I know it never harmed it.
It was just a remington extra full choke made by remington. Dont remember what the exact constriction was. I shot 3" #5 or 6 shot with probably an 1-7/8 oz of shot. It was a long time ago so do not remember those specifics. You couldn't beat the patterns. ON a turkey head target I would have 40 or so pellets in the head and neck at 35 yards.

Brad C.

They shoot great and kill great.

DSCF2946_Medium_.jpg

Latest posts