Here we go!

megalomaniac

Good luck Mega. You're gonna need it. If you do actually get her done, please teach us all how.
Whatever I'm doing is not working :) I've only seen 1 deer in the last 6 sits. I dont think these deer are used to the vast increase in pressure. There were 8 hunters on the club yest afternoon. In the past, we've never had more than 3 hunters at a time.

We've had 2 more does killed, so up to 5 total this year. Not ideal, as our deer density is abysmal.

I have found another buck I would be happy to shoot. Not nearly as big as the pic, but still a shooter for south MS

Attachments

• 20210102_060124.jpg
    20210102_060124.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 116

megalomaniac

About time for another update... although not much to update....

I've put in 12 hunts in past 2 weeks, and I've seen a couple does and a broken 4pt. Been skirting all around his core bedding area hunting low impact depending on wind direction, but he remains completely nocturnal. One member may have seen him when he was hunting close to his bed and a pack of 10 dogs came tearing through the area and the member said a huge buck came running out of there full speed in front of the dogs. Too fast to get a shot off.

I'm not a believer that the rut will vary from its normal time, but I swear my deer haven't even entered 1st rut. Scrapes went dead about a week ago, but no chasing on cameras. Scrapes active again, but only at night by the older deer.

Up to around 325 hunts total by all the members, still just 5 does killed and zero bucks.

Found a new mature buck to hunt, so I'm going for a change of pace this afternoon. Sitting on an overgrown logging road that is 30yards off a powerline. 20 scrapes on this road, 8 or 9 have been hit since last rain. I can see about 100y down the road, with good bedding cover off to the other side. Hopefully the new buck will come by before dark to scent check the powerline and plot. He is actually a fairly representative example of what our 4.5yo deer will look like in south MS

Attachments

• image6374(2).jpg
    image6374(2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 89

Andy S.

^^^ Good looking mature buck, hope you cross paths with him soon. I enjoy the updates, especially seeing how many hours the members log without much return on their investment kill-wise. That tells me a lot about the hunters' dedication to the outdoors and sport alone.

megalomaniac

Not sure if its dedication or stupidity... prob both.

This eve was a bust. Survey crew ended up all over me looking for gopher tortoises. Our local power plant is converting from coal to natural gas, and the huge compressor station is going on the lease. Surveyors have been all over the 6.5yos core area, which is one of the reasons I moved to the new spot this eve... hoping he might have been pushed this direction. But I didn't realize the crews would also be flagging where I was. Oh well, didn't see a deer, but a did get a cell cam on that lane paralleling the powerline. Must be 20 scrapes in a 150yd stretch.

fairchaser

These old bucks certainly earned their doctorate in avoiding humans making killing them using traditional methods nearly impossible. For season after season, those methods have failed. Time and opportunity just won't get it done usually. You hope for the stray coyote or a neighbor running a chainsaw to get them on their feet in daylight. These trophies are truly hard won. Maybe he will make it one more year.

megalomaniac

I got beat to that spot for this mornings hunt, members son got him. Nice buck for down here. 4.5yo, 14.75inside, 19 and 20in beams, 110in.

He was tending a doe and she led him out onto the powerline.

My 6.5yo is still alive, going to focus on him again (although probably a waste of time) since the new buck is dead.

Attachments

• 20210116_091848.jpg
    20210116_091848.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 125

megalomaniac

Funny thing is.... nobody had pictures of that buck until he showed up 3 days ago. He's been on my camera every night past 3 night including last night.

The 6.5 yo 8 has actually settled into a pattern the past week, checking one plot in particular just after dark. Im set up halfway between that plot and where he is bedded with perfect consistent wind... fingers crossed!

megalomaniac

Figured I'd update and put closure to the thread.... pipeline crew showed up the next day to start work on the new road which will lead to the new compressor station. His bedding area is now cleared, dozed, and leveled. They are running a fire curtain in the middle of the cut to burn all the timber they are dozing.

Double whammy... he has completely disappeared off all cameras since construction started and his bedding area is cleared. Ive moved cameras around, but with all the crews working, we are only able to safely access and hunt about 200 acres of this 1000 ac block.... and he has never used those 200 ac up front in years past.

Maybe he will show back up next year...

Construction will go on until April 1st. Unless I can locate another shooter, its not looking good for the last 2 weeks of deer season.

Oh, we did have 1 more buck killed on the other half of the lease. An exceptional 2yo 8pt that should score around 95. No other deer killed past couple weeks.

Attachments

• 20210130_102935.jpg
    20210130_102935.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 101

DoubleRidge

Figured I'd update and put closure to the thread.... pipeline crew showed up the next day to start work on the new road which will lead to the new compressor station. His bedding area is now cleared, dozed, and leveled. They are running a fire curtain in the middle of the cut to burn all the timber they are dozing.

Double whammy... he has completely disappeared off all cameras since construction started and his bedding area is cleared. Ive moved cameras around, but with all the crews working, we are only able to safely access and hunt about 200 acres of this 1000 ac block.... and he has never used those 200 ac up front in years past.

Maybe he will show back up next year...

Construction will go on until April 1st. Unless I can locate another shooter, its not looking good for the last 2 weeks of deer season.

Oh, we did have 1 more buck killed on the other half of the lease. An exceptional 2yo 8pt that should score around 95. No other deer killed past couple weeks.

Bummer.....but does this give you an opportunity to create a new food plot or native grass area or a combination of both?

Latest posts