Hens!

Boll Weevil

They're giving me fits right now. They're roosting with the toms, all fly down together, and wander around all day in one big wad. The woods are so open can see 100 yards down through the timber so no chance really move on them. Need'em to break up some.

Setterman

It can be frustrating and I'd trade 100 yards of visibility for the 1/2 mole we've got going right now. Good news I'm time they'll be leaving and you'll have your chance. My only advice is don't order so hard that it hurts you when the time comes

doubledownranch

I've been in the exact same boat on my farm. Saw 9 gobblers Saturday and can't get anything to walk towards a call and I can't sneak up on all of them in a open field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

Don't worry about the dominant bird, you are hunting satellite birds right now. Played this game a long time, the pecking order can change even a few times in the same day. Use it to your advantage on the field birds.... when they get wadded up, try throwing a ton of fighting purrs and gobbler whines at them to get them riled up. If it works, the whole wad of Tom's will get into a brawl with feathers going everywhere. One bird will get his butt whipped, sulk away from the group for 30 minutes or so, then come to some soft hen calling. I've killed several in early season doing that trick, plus it's a blast to watch.

But those Tom's will be easy pickings at noon in another 2 weeks if they haven't become call shy by then

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

Oh, sometimes the satellite bird has the best spurs.... a group of 2 yo nest mates can defeat a single bird with 1.5in spurs

catman529

megalomaniac":3mc74gtu said:
Don't worry about the dominant bird, you are hunting satellite birds right now. Played this game a long time, the pecking order can change even a few times in the same day. Use it to your advantage on the field birds.... when they get wadded up, try throwing a ton of fighting purrs and gobbler whines at them to get them riled up. If it works, the whole wad of Tom's will get into a brawl with feathers going everywhere. One bird will get his butt whipped, sulk away from the group for 30 minutes or so, then come to some soft hen calling. I've killed several in early season doing that trick, plus it's a blast to watch.

But those Tom's will be easy pickings at noon in another 2 weeks if they haven't become call shy by then

Yep, you are looking for those satellite birds right now. And usually the toms will fight on their own, chances are there's a lone tom hiding somewhere in the woods waiting for a hen, that's the bird you want to call to

Rockhound

megalomaniac":26tery1s said:
Oh, sometimes the satellite bird has the best spurs.... a group of 2 yo nest mates can defeat a single bird with 1.5in spurs

Yep one place I use to know was like this, there was always a flock of birds but if you ever killed a loner you could guarantee he was gonna have some daggers. Seen 2 lone toms out there yesterday on the way to a place i can hunt. I only drooled thinking about the leg gear they were toting

Boll Weevil

Yesterday morning had 3 or 4 gobblers and a bunch of hens raising Cain 150 yards out...couldn't get any closer as the timber is just way too open right now. They all pitched down and went thataway and I see a bird glide down 90 yards or so and head my way. Ol' Hopalong (to mega's earlier point might have gotten whooped recently and still on the mend) started hopping my way with his beard bouncing off his chest with every hop. Had never made a peep on the limb but neither had yet ANOTHER hen that I neither saw nor heard until she clucked real soft a few times and there went Ol'Hopaling. She got between him and me and that was that.

Honestly, I don't get too terribly frustrated battling hens early in the season; they'll get right soon enough. Catch 22 I guess, but all my habitat work has created this situation...I got turkeys out the ying yang these days. Lots of gobblers but lots of hens too beats the heck out of the alternative.

Latest posts