Hen with poults

DoubleRidge

Noticed a hen in field near house this morning just sitting.... raining pretty good and she was staying in one location with wings slightly out....grabbed binos and watched her....soon as rain slacked off she stood up and I couldnt get a count due to grass height but she has several very small poults with her.... different field but same property where I found nest raided....glad to see some hatched.... thankful for the rain (multiple plots seeded yesterday) but hope the little poults do ok in today's rain.

JCDEERMAN

Noticed a hen in field near house this morning just sitting.... raining pretty good and she was staying in one location with wings slightly out....grabbed binos and watched her....soon as rain slacked off she stood up and I couldnt get a count due to grass height but she has several very small poults with her.... different field but same property where I found nest raided....glad to see some hatched.... thankful for the rain (multiple plots seeded yesterday) but hope the little poults do ok in today's rain.
Both aspects of poults and rain will sure put you in a good mood!

megalomaniac

As long as it doesn't rain for an extended period and they have a chance to be completely dry before the cold tonight, the little ones should be fine.

Those 2 day rain events are the killers... impossible to stay dry and maintain body temps.

Boll Weevil

^ Was Lawrence one of the delayed opening counties? If so I can't help but speculate the later opener has something to do with hatch success.

Creek

Pretty much the same story a few minutes ago for me. She had 8 poults and they were no higher than my yard grass (2 to 3 inches) but them little buggers were fast and they made sure to never get too far away from her.
She also kept unfolding hers wings from side to side and she would also fan her tail out about half of what a tom would.
Maybe she will come close to the house so I can get a picture but the binoculars will have to do for now.
I was just glad to see eight of them.

Gravey

Cut some clover plots the other day and saw a hen with a bunch of little ones as I went down a logging road. Then got to a plot and there was a hen in it and she wasn't in a hurry to leave. After 2 laps I saw this little guy. Carried him back to a group of trees and put him at the base of one and then didn't try to cut anything close to it. Thought it odd he was the only one I saw.

Attachments

• F43CA72D-D603-49F1-A72B-7085128938DA.jpeg
    F43CA72D-D603-49F1-A72B-7085128938DA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
  • F0AECFF8-9FE5-441D-BCA3-30A21866E832.jpeg
    F0AECFF8-9FE5-441D-BCA3-30A21866E832.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

Creek

Cut some clover plots the other day and saw a hen with a bunch of little ones as I went down a logging road. Then got to a plot and there was a hen in it and she wasn't in a hurry to leave. After 2 laps I saw this little guy. Carried him back to a group of trees and put him at the base of one and then didn't try to cut anything close to it. Thought it odd he was the only one I saw.
Cool deal. Hope it survives but if not, its not because you didnt try.
Thats very close to the same size I seen yesterday.

Boll Weevil

I picked up a little one once. Once.

That hen went absolutely berserk, came after me like Mike Tyson...11 pounds of feathered fury. If the hen is close by I won't be trying that nonsense again.

The more turkey stewards the better.

JCDEERMAN

Cute sucker

DoubleRidge

Saw a hen this morning in pasture by house.... likely same one mentioned at beginning of thread.....but she had 8 or 9 poults that are just little smaller than a quail now.....too far for a good picture....cool to see them bug hunting with mama.... little boogers are quick.

Latest posts