Help TNdeer Shotgun ID

BamaProud

We don't have a shotgun forum? Well it will get more views here anyway.

I thought I had a Browning A5 that I inherited over 35 years ago, but I'm not exactly sure what I have now. I have always just assumed it was A5. According to the Browning serial Number(103906) its Pre WWII made in 1904 which would be Belgium made I'm pretty certain. However the top of the Barrel is stamped:
"MANUFACTURED BY THE REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILION N.Y. U.S.A."
"BROWNING PATENTS OCT. 9, 1900, DEC. 17, 01, SEP. 30, 02, JUNE 16, 03"

I've done a little research this morning and it appears Remington was licensed to produce an "A5" that they called a MOD 11. I'm pretty sure and kinda bummed that is what I have.

Anybody know anything about the MOD 11, its manufacturing date based on the serial Number(103906)and value?

Here are a few pictures:
7NDrgfE.jpg

oHecl9I.jpg

POpVI9R.jpg

DshTCH8.jpg

JInEf2M.jpg

mvEe0Zw.jpg

jag1

Have the same gun, 16 gauge. Been told it's not worth much $.

After closer inspection, I have the Sportsman model. Built sometime after 1937 based off the link provided by BB.

Last edited:

Rob R.

Bp. I have that gun myself. Markings on the barrel appear identical to yours. S/N 18545. My dad gave the gun to me a few years ago. I'll have to ask him about it. I didn't realize the gun was over 100 years old.

Displaced_Vol

If I remember right the model 11 predated the 1148 which predated then 1100. Can't remember the timelines of any of them except the 1148 production began in, obviously, 1948.
I think my grandfather has at least one of all 3, but he may be missing the 11.
Never shot one myself but they are a cool piece of history IMO.

woodyard

I got one very similar but might be a little different grade or newer one that belonged to my father. This one is stamped "The Sportsman" then below that it has Remington Arms with the serial no. Also has ducks engraved on the left side of and pheasants on the right.

Wish I could have shot just half the doves,quail, ducks and pheasants this thing was used on.

Last edited:

Smo

Model 11's were great guns from back in 60's..
A friend of mine owned 2 of them..
Based of the Browning pattern if I remember correctly..
The Model 11-48 was later on and the Sportsman 58 was around the early 60's timeframe.
Sportsman 58 had wildlife engraving on the receiver side...

7mm08

Somehow I remember J Browning in a patent dispute with Browning so he sold the rights to Remington...... but I've had a few bourbons in the past 5-6 years since I heard that

Biggun4214

Remington made a "humpbacked" shotgun way back when, but I don't remember the model number. They look like the Browning A-5's. My landlord had a 20 gauge back in the early 80's that I used to squirrel hunt with.

Latest posts