Heaviest Bird

RoyalPrudent

Of course, just like deer in the rut, the earlier in the season you kill, the heavier the critter.

Spurhunter

It must suck to be as miserable as yourself. I can't recall a time that you weren't in here talking down to someone or something. You need some positivity in your life, it's much more enjoyable
Ain't that the truth. I've never ever seen him post anything that wasn't off the charts negative and condescending. Reminds me of the old saying "a lion doesn't have to tell you he's a lion. It's obvious." When someone spends every breath telling you how great they are and how much everyone else sucks, you know what you're dealing with and it ain't a lion. Did you see the interview where Tom Brady said "I have 7 super bowl rings and I'm the greatest QB that ever lived! All other QBs suck and should bow at my feet!"??? Yeah, me either. The interview never happened and it won't. Because real winners don't have to tell you how great they are and belittle everyone else. They leave that to internet blowhards.

Union Co. Boy

Killed 2 birds in excess of 24 lbs in Claiborne County. I honestly don't remember the exact ounces of either though. I did kill a 4 bearded bird with 32.5 total inches of beards that was the lightest gobbler I've ever killed. I believe he was only around 17 lbs.

ZachMarkus

26.52- came from a cattle farm in Williamson County. I've killed several from cattle farms in Williamson, Maury, Marshall and Giles counties that have weighed over 23lbs

I weigh every turkey I kill, always have. Most of the turkeys I've killed in big hardwoods have been between 18-20lbs, it's very rare to kill one that will break 22-23lbs from my experience.

Last edited:

cowhunter71

Ain't that the truth. I've never ever seen him post anything that wasn't off the charts negative and condescending. Reminds me of the old saying "a lion doesn't have to tell you he's a lion. It's obvious." When someone spends every breath telling you how great they are and how much everyone else sucks, you know what you're dealing with and it ain't a lion. Did you see the interview where Tom Brady said "I have 7 super bowl rings and I'm the greatest QB that ever lived! All other QBs suck and should bow at my feet!"??? Yeah, me either. The interview never happened and it won't. Because real winners don't have to tell you how great they are and belittle everyone else. They leave that to internet blowhards.
Simply showcasing and trying to defend the practice of "Old School" Turkey Hunting, on any platform that will have me. In this circus, that has become modern day Turkey Hunting, I'm here to let the few of us that are remaining know, that they are not alone. And by the way, comparing me to Tom Brady, and all the other ungrateful, unpatriotic sports commanders, is truly an insult to all those "fightin' men in the ground. Unlike them, and all their followers, I'm not afraid to STAND on Principal;)

Dennis

Simply showcasing and trying to defend the practice of "Old School" Turkey Hunting, on any platform that will have me. In this circus, that has become modern day Turkey Hunting, I'm here to let the few of us that are remaining know, that they are not alone. And by the way, comparing me to Tom Brady, and all the other ungrateful, unpatriotic sports commanders, is truly an insult to all those "fightin' men in the ground. Unlike them, and all their followers, I'm not afraid to STAND on Principal;)
How many gobblers have you called in and killed in the fall or winter?

cowhunter71

How many gobblers have you called in and killed in the fall or winter?
I'm not a #'s guy, but I assure you, I have sat down against a tree, called to the gun. and killed "several" Longbeards, as well as a few Jakes, in the Fall of the year(October/November) I cut my teeth Turkey Hunting in the Fall back home in The Big Cypress Swamp, as well as around Fisheating Creek. I Sir, am a Turkey Hunter, not just a "Spring" Turkey Hunter ;) No more highjacking. I will be "provoked" no more on this thread:)

drake799

I only time I weigh them is when I notice them being above average That being said my heavest is 24.4 killed on the last weekend of the season years ago. I would say he was a 2 year old but according to all the experts these days you can't age birds that way.

Spurhunter

Simply showcasing and trying to defend the practice of "Old School" Turkey Hunting, on any platform that will have me. In this circus, that has become modern day Turkey Hunting, I'm here to let the few of us that are remaining know, that they are not alone.
I did not realize weighing a turkey was against the rules of "old school" turkey hunting, but thank you for commenting on this thread and setting me straight. Is the turkey hunter's rule book available online or do you have the only copy. I sure would hate to break another sacred rule. But if I do, I'm sure you'll be standing by to correct me with your condescending negativity. We are lucky to have you here to correct us when we step out of line and do something as heinous as weighing a turkey. I hope everyone here realizes what a valuable resource you are.

megalomaniac

Birds are totally different depending on locale...

I posted this pic a couple years ago, but here is the biggest bird I've killed in south MS 2 years ago (just under 20 lbs) compared to the biggest bird in TN I've ever killed (26.2lbs).

And the TN birds on my farms will have tail feathers on their fans that are a good 2 to 3 inches longer than my south MS birds. Totally different animals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210219-204222_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210219-204222_Gallery.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 72

Granddaddy

I would guess, at least in my experience, that my heaviest birds are killed early season. Several yrs ago, I finally killed the area boss gobbler on the last day of the season. His primary feathers were just about worn down to nothing, he had scars on his face & he only weighed 18#. Nice hooked spurs though.

RobDooley

26 lbs Mascot, Tn. I seen one much bigger, he was a freak. Biggest Tom I ever seen. We named in Gimpy. I killed one in Hickman Co. a couple years ago that was bigger...no scales. Lots of birds in Hickman Co.

Latest posts