Heaviest bird yet

PickettSFHunter

I caught up to this one this morning after hunting him for every morning I've been able to hunt so far (4). Every morning I've hunted, I've been on this bird for several hours, and had it within spitting/drumming 7 times without even seeing it. This morning I got within 100 yards of him on the roost but he shut up at fly down. I moved to an old log yard strut zone as I heard the rain and thunder coming. As soon as it started thundering a lot, he fired back up gobbling and was on me within 10 minutes coming to yelps from a Gooserbat Bacon. Shot was about 35 yards with 20 gauge TSS 9's. I grabbed him as quick as I could and went to nearby bluff shelter before the downpour hit. I could tell he was very heavy for a rough country woods bird, they just don't usually get over 21-22 pounds in this area but this one was 24 pounds. Must be the leftover red oak acorns. 1.25 inch spurs and 10.25 inch beard.
53003959d0d4a4fe9f97800fe176a03c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickettSFHunter

Mike Belt":3gfme4ol said:
Good deal and love the pic. Congrats! Curious... why are those rocks piled up in the middle of the woods?
At one time, largely prior to the 1950's back into the 1800's, people lived all over the rough country around the rim of the plateau. You will find rock piles like this where ever they would clear off a bench to farm. They would plow with mules and pile all the rocks in a couple of spots. The majority of those places have reverted to forest now but you can find the rock piles, the chimneys, and sometimes see the terraces created by the plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

I know that bird is special! Always satisfying to kill a bird that has outsmarted you a few times already. Almost like revenge :)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Congratulations! :)
You've really had to HUNT and work hard for that one!

PickettSFHunter":158pnv9t said:
I could tell he was very heavy for a rough country woods bird, they just don't usually get over 21-22 pounds in this area but this one was 24 pounds. Must be the leftover red oak acorns. 1.25 inch spurs and 10.25 inch beard.
Your story (and those of many others this season to date) meshes with my theory that wintering flocks, statewide, have been dispersing later than normal this year, in part due to a good statewide red oak acorn crop.

If this is the case, it absolutely results in most hunters seeing (hearing, and killing) fewer turkeys during the 1st week or two of the season.

Will be interesting to see if the statewide hunting improves, or not, during the next couple weeks.

Newt

Congrats, they don't come any better than that up here on the plateau as you well know!

Latest posts