Heading to Puerto Rico!

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
This weekend I and two buddies from church are heading to San Juan to put feet on the ground and do some pre-trip scouting for our summer mission trip at the end of June. It will be our first opportunity for a face-to-face with the man who is our contact, a native Brit who has been working at Puerto Rico Christian School there for 25 years now. They have about 400 students, and between the work they do at the school, plus the network of student families, we hope to identify some solid core needs that we can attend to during our summer trip. We'll also be dropping in on Toa Baja Christian Church to see how we might partner up with them. Ever since the hurricanes, we've seen evidence that the folks from TBCC have been out and about distributing what little they had to others who were in need.

It's a short trip, but we hope to figure out a lot of what we'll need to plan and prep for our summer trip. So far we've got 50+ adults and teens planning on going, but I've had more folks asking questions about it, so that number will likely grow. I know very little about the island, and am really looking forward to the trip.

Anyone else been down there before?

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
Tn lead's brother is there now. Said he just wants to get home. He did send some pictures of their fishing trip today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

dogmatik

I have been down there 3 times for work over that last few years and most recent time was February of last year. I was mainly between San Jaun and Bayamón and most of the time was in the touristy areas. It’s different, that’s for sure. And I have never seen true homelessness like I did when I was there.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
Nimrod777":2izy5gxz said:
Jcalder":2izy5gxz said:
Tn lead's brother is there now. Said he just wants to get home.

Anything particular inspiring that?
he works for the COE and went on a voluntary basis helping to restore power. The biggest thing he's mentioned is the traffic and their lack of knowledge/concern for others. I took at as driving thru downtown Nashville without traffic lights. I do know a guy he trained was killed I'm think at the first of last week.

hillbillyfab

hillbillyfab

I personally haven't been, but have family that has been there since the storms restoring power. They came home for a little bit around Christmas. I remember them describing the roads/traffic and said they had eaten all the plantains and yuccas they could stand...didn't want to even think about it. [emoji85]

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
I just received a request for Chocolate from Aldi's! Apparently the teachers at the school are all hepped up about some kind of milk chocolate and dark chocolate Aldi's sells. Guess I'll go try to buy em out this week.

D

dogmatik

Also... traffic laws are merely suggestions and once you get off the highway, street signs are few and far between. That included stop signs!!