Headed to LBL...maybe

volunteer1

Nice buck lungblood! Did you happen to get the numbers for the weekend when you checked that buck in? Anyone know?
I killed a nice 10 point last year on the same hunt and it was 66 degrees and 25 MPH wind! Good luck Guys!

usanglure

I hunted 14, on Gatlin road just past first cemetery down logging road to bottom with creek and field, nary a deer while in stand, but apparantly both days i jumped some while i was walking out because someone from hillside across from me shot both days. Saturday at 11am at south gate game warden said only 2 bucks and 2 does checked in. One buck was a nice 9 he said.... I had umbrella Saturday morning, forgot it Saturday afternoon, Mistake. Sunday morning much cooler but not as wet, still no deer. I enjoyed scenery, went on Saturday and looked at Elk n Bison, will apply in future years too. No regrets, great days in the outdoors...

woodswise

I hunted 15 and saw 7 deer 0 bucks. No buck sign to speak of but I did find a shed that would easily be a 160 class deer. Made a mental note for next year. I left today at dark only 20 deer checked largest was 10 point 157 lbs checked this morning from area 15. I saw a nice heavy horned 10 pt being checked from area 11 was narrow racked but would score good overall. The EHD breakout has really diminished the population and I fear it will be quite a while before it rebounds. Always love that place and even knowing all day rain and low numbers I loved every minute!

Headhunter

woodswise":1xenaimz said:
I hunted 15 and saw 7 deer 0 bucks. No buck sign to speak of but I did find a shed that would easily be a 160 class deer. Made a mental note for next year. I left today at dark only 20 deer checked largest was 10 point 157 lbs checked this morning from area 15. I saw a nice heavy horned 10 pt being checked from area 11 was narrow racked but would score good overall. The EHD breakout has really diminished the population and I fear it will be quite a while before it rebounds. Always love that place and even knowing all day rain and low numbers I loved every minute!

love the posts above. I have hunted 13 and 15 and IMO there are many deer. Absolutely no signs of a diminshed population. keep spreading the word and maybe I can get drawn every year, I can only hope.

woodswise

I was around and hunted the very first quota hunt at LBL . I have many memories of hunts there and have bow and gun hunted there frequently over those 35 years and although you may find pockets of a population there is no indication according to biological stastics, hunter participation, or personal observation that LBL has a thriving deer population. If you asked any one of the 20 successful hunters there this week end you might get a different answer. You may be a lot better hunter than I am.

Solocam

My dad and I seen plenty of deer on the first gun quota Several different spikes a 4pt a 6pt a 8pt and dad missed a big bodies buck with a messed up rack. We have bow hunted it the last few years and always see several

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usanglure

I saw this posted on window of south Ky check station,
are there stats available for Tn hunt 11/28 n 20?

Attachments

• kentucky lbl deer number 2015.JPG
    kentucky lbl deer number 2015.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 393

woodswise

Yes they had the same harvest board at the south check station. I left at dark Sunday and there were 20 bucks on the board. A quick look at the TWRA harvest report shows 24 bucks were checked and there could have been deer checked after I left. The previous two seasons for both hunts have almost twice the numbers posted and if you venture back even further either the deer have gotten a lot smarter or there are lots less kills based on statistics. Less harvest usually is a reflection of deer population unless you wanted to say current hunters are simply choosing to pass...doubtful. My personal observations are reflective of the harvest data and like I posted earlier there seems to be some pockets where there are more deer. The check station used to be across the road in a small building and frequently during the hunts vehicles would be backed up out of the parking lot and up the trace sometimes in double digits. Bet you never see that now. This year seemed a low ebb in the overall population and is reflective in the harvest data. I'm not doing any more than simply making an observation on my part it's the greatest Big woods hunt in Tennessee and I wish it were like it once was there were lots of Giant bucks.

volunteer1

Poser":3kkjytdz said:
But there were over 100 bucks killed on the first hunt this year. I would assume that, with the rain, not a whole lot of people showed up. Low hunter turn out means less deer killed.

You could of had the same of amount of hunters this past weekend as the first hunt and numbers still would be down. That's just the way it is. There is no other way to spin it. Sometimes weather has an effect on deer movement and kill numbers even if you have an abundance of hunters stomping around stirring up the woods. I've only hunted LBL for a little over 10 years but have never had any issue seeing deer and finding good locations. Me and my buddies have been successful on several trips over the years. Last years hunt had a similar results in regards to the amount of low numbers checked in due to 65 degree temps. and 25 mph. wind and there were many hunters around. I was one of the fortunate hunters to kill a buck that aged at 5.5 years as an 8 point but was a mainframe 10 point with tines broken off. I would venture to say if you had the same amount of hunters that were hunting this past weekend in more suitable weather that the bucks checked in would of been higher. I don't think the low hunter turn out was the most influential affect on the number of bucks killed. I'm confident that you could of had the same amount of hunters as the first hunt on this past weekends hunt and the numbers still would be down vs. the previous open hunt due to bad weather. Its just the way it goes. With that said I cant speak for those that have hunted LBL longer than me and if they have seen more drastic changes for the good or bad in deer population. that has not been an issue for us. Either way I enjoy going to LBL and will be back again!

Latest posts