Have you ever been on a hunt when someone got shot

Chaneylake

Chaneylake

For me only once, two years ago in dove field

rookie hunter shot a low bird and put some pellets in one of the "Cartel Members"

he was able to drive himself to hospital

TWRA and Sheriff Dept got involved as routine situation after I presented the facts

I read the "RIOT ACT" to the person responsible until he started crying

always remember that a hunting accident will usually require more than a small bandage

woodyard

woodyard

I decided I would not post the story in detail that I was gonna. I will just say that it involved grown ups in a cotton field rabbit hunting when i was a kid and there was not a serious injury but a little burning. Was not me. Some on here would know the family involved since they were well known in both ends of the state at that time.

Made me think that maybe large group rabbit hunting was not a good idea, especially with city people.

edtcase

edtcase

I got shot one time on
a dove hunt. I was wearing Carhart overalls and it hurt but only scratched the surface of the overalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckduck84

duckduck84

Never shot, but I'll tell you why I am always nervous on bird hunts. My family does a day after Christmas pheasant hunt at a game farm in Covington. The first year I went I was walking near my brother in law when we had one flush in front of us, we all missed, and it hit the fence row.

Me, my brother in law his Dad, and my other BIL started to walk towards the fence row and our line got way too close and haphazard. We got almost to the edge of the grass and one flushed in front of me.

The second before I had looked around and I felt that I had plenty of room. I sighted in on the bird and fired. My eye comes open and my BIL is holding his left ear and falling away from the barrel of my gun. He had moved over towards me in just that second or two and I fired probably 3 feet or so from his head.

He was fine, but I wouldn't hunt the rest of the day and I still feel bad about it. He says he shouldn't have been that close, but I know to make sure my shooting lane is clear. It was just too close for comfort.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Kimber45

Kimber45

I was on a hunt where I thought I shot someone!
Had a few guys late to the boat one AM... Older fella's gun broke so he shows up with a rusty old Stevens 311 SxS. 3 jump out to break thin ice, knock ice off decoys etc. Birds were lighting in the water we were opening! It was to be a great day! I run upstairs to load the guns, get to the rusty 311 and it wont close.. He says slam it shut, it's a little rusty, so I point the gun at the floor (not thinking that the boat house was underneath me) and slam it shut. Trigger was apparently stuck back, fired when I slammed it shut. Shot one barrel thru the floor, and tore into the sidewall of my 14/48 duck boat but didn't go all the way thru. They thought I was shot lol as I was speechless thinking someone might have just pushed the boat in.. Luckily nobody was hurt and we all dogged him about that ragged rusty 311 - I ended up loaning him an old 870 to use until his good gun was repaired, and we told him if he brought that crap to the blind again we'd make a decoy weight out of it...

Kimber45

Kimber45

I had an old friend who when he was 12, shot his grandpa in the leg, ended up losing his leg. They had climbed thru a fence, guns in hand...

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Never been on one but have never done much bird hunting of any kind besides turkey.

Do know a guy who was with his uncle when his uncle got shot. They were on public land and working on a duck blind. Made one trip in and had a run in with a guy who was deer hunting, it was some kind of rifle draw hunt that weekend. Best I can remember they had to make another trip in and out and the guy deer hunting shot the uncle. He didn't die instantly but died at the hospital. Took 2 or 3 months to find out who did it but the shooter stood up in church and testified that he did it. He got like 3 months in jail. All about who you know and who you blow in Obion County.

duckriver

duckriver

Me and a buddy that was sitting next to me got hit at a dove hunt. I have 2 pellets bury in my neck but didn't break the skin I don't know it worked out like that but it did. I popped them back out like you would a zit. We both had sunglasses on that got all scratched up when when he picked his water bottle up it was spraying like a sprinkler head.

mr.big

mr.big

we were rabbit hunting one day and there was 5-6 of us,,this was in the late 80`s,,one of the guys was a eagle eye and could spot sittin rabbits like crazy and was a meat hunter first and foremost and made the best rabbit stew you ever ate. He carried an old 22 LR revolver he would head shoot the sittin rabbits he would see to use in the stew,,I think he pressure cooked it,,well anyways we had walked 3-4 miles in some rough country and sit down on a log to take a break and get a drink,,when we all sit down on the log his holster turned sideways and the revolver fired shooting the guy beside him in the back ham,,they looked at each other and the guy with the revolver asked the other if he shot him and the other guy just sat there and said yeah I think you did my *** is burning,,the guy that got shot his wife was an RN and we took him home and she dug the bullet out and cleaned the wound up and got him some penicillin and he was good as new in a couple weeks,
you would have had to been there but the way it happened and the way they reacted and just look at each other was funny as all get out,,we laughed about it for years,,sadly to say they both died of heart attacks in their late 40`s mainly from hard fast livin,,
rabbit huntin was never as fun after they died,,it was worse than losing the best pair of beagles that ever lived,,

Biggun4214

Biggun4214

I have worked several. One in particular was in a dove field and involved a young hunter shooting another hunter. The shooter was on a hill and the victim was at the bottom. Apparently the victim had ask the shooter not to shoot low birds several times. The last one went through the victim's shirt and embedded in the skin. The fact that the shooter had continued to shoot low birds, along with his attitude got him and his Dad a date with the Judge.

P

pass-thru

Biggun4214":30gxxfpu said:
I have worked several. One in particular was in a dove field and involved a young hunter shooting another hunter. The shooter was on a hill and the victim was at the bottom. Apparently the victim had ask the shooter not to shoot low birds several times. The last one went through the victim's shirt and embedded in the skin. The fact that the shooter had continued to shoot low birds, along with his attitude got him and his Dad a date with the Judge.

If he had an attitude after recklessly shooting somebody then he needs a date with Bubba....

MUP

MUP

Supporter
I was deer hunting when a truckload of bird hunters came sloshing thru the mud in a truck up above me on a ridge. Heard the tailgate slam shut, then "here! Blackie! Come back here Blackie!" Boom Boom Boom! Peppered me with shot just down below them.

Also have had a disgruntled landowner neighbor, two tracts over, fire his .380(sounded like) hundreds of times when he heard me go in to hunt during the evening. I heard one bullet whiz over my head, I waited, to make sure it was what I thought I heard, and never heard another one.

L

landman

Nope

But about 15 years ago I was duck hunting in a dry feed pit with a friend, his uncle owned the land but my friend had put in pit and everything else, uncle had a winer grandson that was hunting that day with his grandson. I was on there end of the pit and 2-3 times as ducks circled behind the pit the grandson gun barrel would hit mine as he was shooting wildly. It got to were I just took a break from the shooting until the grandson left, the next day the grandson shot the end of his grandfathers 10 ga Itaca barrel...... :eek:

gtk

gtk

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the mid-90's, things were still pretty rural around our place, and folks still ran dogs all the time. I was constantly trying to keep the dog hunters off our land, but they were bold enough to just park in our entrance and sit on the hood of their truck just waiting... Anyway, these guys were outlaws..

One Sat eve, I ran them off the front side of our place. The next morn, i decided to make a hunt before church. Sure enough, the dog runners turned loose on the front side of our place and they were sitting on the road on the back side of our place. I was hunting the backside of our place, so close to the road I could see vehicles go back/forth. The dogs came thru, and I heard some shots. About 30 mins later I heard another single shot. I packed it up & went home.

Turns out the last shot I heard was right across the road from our place, and it was one guy shooting another guy. Killed him graveyard dead. He said they had shot a doe, and it ran in a thicket. A couple guys went in after it, no orange. One saw movement and shot, killing his friend.

It was always eerie knowing i heard that fatal shot.

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
I've been "peppered" a couple times in dove fields, but nothing that ever hurt. The only time I remember anyone getting hurt when hunting was when i was about 8 years old, my older cousin had a single pellet hit him just below the eye in a dove field. He went to the hospital to get the pellet removed, but there was no lingering injury.

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
Biggun4214":3f6v0zwf said:

I tell people that I hunt doves/Pheasants with the same thing on every hunt "Elevation gets people shot".

MUP

MUP

Supporter
BamaProud":166jspqd said:
Biggun4214":166jspqd said:

I tell people that I hunt doves/Pheasants with the same thing on every hunt "Elevation gets people shot".

As well as "lack of elevation" I would say...of the barrel that is.

DaveB

DaveB

Just back from Vietnam I was deer hunting in Conservation Area A in South Florida and a round cracked over my head and believe me this was very very close.

I fumbled for the selector switch on my 30-30 for a second.

Then I screamed some unprintable stuff fairly loud.

M

Mike Belt

A long time back when Ms allowed it's first doe day on a management area and a bunch of hunters showed up... The locals weren't happy about the hunt at all and claimed it would be the demise of the deer population. When I say they weren't happy I'm talking death threats. During the hunt a guy took a stand on a stump not far from the road and about mid morning someone shot and killed him. I never heard the outcome or if they caught who did it but it said it was one of the locals did it in a fit of rage.

spoon

spoon

I’ve never shot anyone or been shot. My cousin killed his best friend in a pit blind while duck hunting on New Year’s Day. He has never hunted again