Hats off to one commissioner

tickweed

I know most are really disappointed by the outcome of yesterdays meeting results. Im shocked to hear about the cost of the blinds TWRA is going to build and the cost for brushing. A big question I have is, how in the world are you going to get some of these blinds in place? You better get the amphibious track hoe ready. I never even had any idea about these cost. As stated in other posts, Id much rather them have taken those funds and went towards habitat improvements for our waterfowl. I would like to say thank you to commissioner Angie Box for having the guts to be the only one who voted no, and recommended putting off the vote and looking at all the options before it was pushed thru. This decision I feel was made hastily, and It just doesn't make sense at all with the shortage of manpower already in place with the state. Not to mention cost. Angie listened to the ones who emailed or contacted her, and that's what the States sportsman and women need. Yes, I do know her, and Im proud of her for trying to represent us.

flyinpro

Well, I think the other commissioners listened to sportsman who have been disenfranchised by driving to a blind draw just to come away empty while watching the locals swap, sell and maneuver blind seasonal ownership. I think 52 is a low percentage but am thankful for the offering.

From the TWRA News: In addition to the 414 season-long blinds, there will be 52 hunt locations designated for quota hunts for 3, 4, or 7-day periods at a marked location or an Agency-built blind. So maybe the normal chaos will remain at those 400 blinds.

I would like to know how many agency blinds will actually be built or will it be just a stake in the ground?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Well, I think the other commissioners listened to sportsman who have been disenfranchised by driving to a blind draw just to come away empty while watching the locals swap, sell and maneuver blind seasonal ownership. I think 52 is a low percentage but am thankful for the offering.

From the TWRA News: In addition to the 414 season-long blinds, there will be 52 hunt locations designated for quota hunts for 3, 4, or 7-day periods at a marked location or an Agency-built blind. So maybe the normal chaos will remain at those 400 blinds.

I would like to know how many agency blinds will actually be built or will it be just a stake in the ground?
42 are supposed to be the 30k metal tubing and trex blinds.

rsimms

I don't know the lay of the land on ANY of the WMA's involved. But not going to lie, I'd be interested in putting my name in the hat for a short-term (3-, 4- or 7-day) blind. But I'd never try for a season long blind. Wouldn't be kosher for me to take that from a local who could/would actually use it all season.

But my question is if anybody knows if any of those short-term blinds are in decent positions? Or are most of them stuck off in a dead zone?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I don't know the lay of the land on ANY of the WMA's involved. But not going to lie, I'd be interested in putting my name in the hat for a short-term (3-, 4- or 7-day) blind. But I'd never try for a season long blind. Wouldn't be kosher for me to take that from a local who could/would actually use it all season.

But my question is if anybody knows if any of those short-term blinds are in decent positions? Or are most of them stuck off in a dead zone?
The 5 blinds they took at gooch and made them 3-4 day hunts only with no hopping are the best 5 spots in the wma

What a waste they will sit empty 90% of the season and the ducks will set there all day every day killing the entire wma

But there is more opportunity so big win there!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Then when the opportunity grabbers finally do get there an hour late the ducks will get up and head to the hop in refuge till 3:30 then come back.

flyinpro

That's been my position in most of this. It's silly for me to try to get a year long blind. I can't afford to travel up to the western end of the state 5-6 times. One or two short hunts would be fine and not having to be concerned with people jumping it is another plus.
Now if nobody will damage my truck or boat trailer while I'm hunting that would be great.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled

The 6 at Camden are traditionally the best blinds in the bottoms. But that is with a huge decoy spread that you won't have with 3,4,or 7 day hunts. You gotta be able to pick them up and be off the WMA within an hour of end of shooting time.

Andy S.

But that is with a huge decoy spread......
I'm not in the loop on killing ducks these days, so forgive my ignorance with this question. I have seen this phrase "huge decoy spread" mentioned numerous times over the last few months with the discussion about these blinds. My question is what constitutes a huge spread versus a large spread versus a small, less than adequate spread? Are we talking 250 for huge, 125 for large and 50 for small, or what? Just trying to get a mental picture of how big some of these decoy spreads are.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I'm not in the loop on killing ducks these days, so forgive my ignorance with this question. I have seen this phrase "huge decoy spread" mentioned numerous times over the last few months with the discussion about these blinds. My question is what constitutes a huge spread versus a large spread versus a small, less than adequate spread? Are we talking 250 for huge, 125 for large and 50 for small, or what? Just trying to get a mental picture of how big some of these decoy spreads are.
To kill ducks at gooch in the top 5 spots most people put out about 1,200 decoys

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Now if nobody will damage my truck or boat trailer while I'm hunting that would be great.
I fear that is going to be the second worst consequence of this fiasco.
First will be when someone dies due to the lack of knowledge of the area.
Gonna be bad.

It will be interesting to see how many of the $30,000 blinds make it to opening day without being burned or sunk as well.

Dodge Man

42 are supposed to be the 30k metal tubing and trex blinds.
I wonder if the plan to destroy and replace the existing blinds the first year? I know of a few at Tigrett just to name 1 WMA that are almost brand new. The group I hunt with just 2 years ago put in almost $4,000 in treated lumber to build one of the blinds that will be a tir 2. I don't see any reason to go destroy a perfectly good blind just to replace it with something a state employee built. Some of these blinds are built around trees and tucked up in a spot to hide better. There is no way a metal prefab blind is going to be put in that location. That means they will move the blind or stick it out farther in the hole.

Dodge Man

For the most part "huge" in these areas is 1,000+ Some I have seen are closer to 2,000 decoys.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
At Camden Bottoms, an average size spread that's left out all year is about 400 decoys. On the ones they're taking as tier 2 locations, most are 800-1500, as are the other blinds in those fields, with a 100 or more goose decoys on some of them. With the constraints of not being able to access the WMA before 4am, and having to have everything picked up and be off the WMA by 4 in the afternoon, I figure with a group of 4 hunters and all their gear in 2 boats you'd be able to put out about 200 at best. With one boat, I figure half that.

flyinpro

I fear that is going to be the second worst consequence of this fiasco.
First will be when someone dies due to the lack of knowledge of the area.
Gonna be bad.

It will be interesting to see how many of the $30,000 blinds make it to opening day without being burned or sunk as well.
Agree, both of those situations will lead to more action by the state or TWRA that nobody will like. The truck & boat thing happens everywhere at times. I'd almost pay a local to watch it In some places.

Andy S.

At Camden Bottoms, an average size spread that's left out all year is about 400 decoys. On the ones they're taking as tier 2 locations, most are 800-1500, as are the other blinds in those fields, with a 100 or more goose decoys on some of them. With the constraints of not being able to access the WMA before 4am, and having to have everything picked up and be off the WMA by 4 in the afternoon, I figure with a group of 4 hunters and all their gear in 2 boats you'd be able to put out about 200 at best. With one boat, I figure half that.
Thank you for this explanation.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
1200 decoys around one duck blind for 4-8 shooters? Or is that 1200 decoys spread out around five blinds?
One blind 4-8 shooters
That's why these opportunities grabbers showing up an hour late with two dozen bargain bin dekes are gonna be sorely disappointed