Harvest Numbers Down

Easy3actual

I was looking at the deer harvest numbers for this season. I compared harvest numbers from the Last week of Aug (velvet hunt) to Dec 28 for both 2020 and 2021. There was around a 20-22k difference. This year was lower.

Did did covid in 2020 put that many more hunters in the woods? What do y'all think the reason for it is?

Remington700

Hard to tell why numbers are down. I believe you are correct about less people hunting. I heard fewer shots this year than I have ever. I know for myself personally, I haven't seen many quality deer. I have had many days I sat on the stand and saw 20 deer. Most of those were does and 4 points and below. So I haven't limited out yet.

TheLBLman

In my primary hunting areas, I would say the main reason for a lower deer harvest this year is the monstrous acorn crop. Even today, December 30, the deer are primarily STILL just feeding on acorns!
We have some really nice lush cultivated food plots still being near totally ignored by the local deer.

When many the hunters have been hunting, they have not being seeing much, since most tend to hunt where they can "see" longer distances, such as field edges & food plots. But the deer just aren't moving much from any bedding to feeding areas, as they're bedding & feeding in the same places, with very little linear distance travel during any 24 hr period.

This makes for very tough hunting for most hunters, so most in turn are not motivated to hunt as much as they normally might --- just because they're not seeing much from their usual stands over fields & food plots.

Less hunting does usually equate to a lower deer kill.
But I believe the local deer population is a little higher than it was a year ago.
Go figure.

cecil30-30

I dont think its has anything to do with any of the things already mentioned. If you look back at the early 2000's it seems that is when TN harvest numbers peaked. And has been on a steady decline every year since. Even with TWRA increasing bag limits the total harvest has slowly been on the decline. I think it is a mix of hunter participation and declining deer numbers in general.

TheLBLman

No doubt, the warmer weather as played a role, as has low compliance with the telecheck system.

Until & unless TWRA institutes greater penalties for those not checking in deer & turkey (as required by law), this trend of NOT checking in big game may only grow.

But keep in mind, anyone who kills a true trophy buck is much more likely to get their hunting habits & histories greatly scrutinized by TWRA. They CAN be pretty good at these kind investigations. If a trophy buck was not checked in, they often show up at your taxidermist and confiscate it, or show up at your home instead.

One more thing, failing to check in deer (even a doe) PRIOR to killing that "trophy" buck could cause you to have your big buck confiscated EVEN IF YOU HAD LEGALLY CHECKED IN THE TROPHY BUCK!

Never mind it is now easier than ever to check in your kills, so really no excuse for not, other than snubbing your nose at the rules?

DoubleRidge

It could be that hunters are not checking in their deer. One person mentioned that turkey harvest was down due to the same idea. Online checking is a good/not-so-good idea. Remember the old days when you had to physically check in a deer or turkey????

I do remember the old days.... driving around trying to find a market that had the machine in working order...then local markets were all bought out by let's say "non-hunting" owners....it was frustrating to drive around to multiple markets trying to check in a deer...absolutely love the app and the convenience it provides....if anything I'd think people are more motivated to report kill..... because after driving around to two or three markets and not being successful some guys would say the heck with it and go to the house.

DoubleRidge

No doubt, the warmer weather as played a role, as has low compliance with the telecheck system.

Until & unless TWRA institutes greater penalties for those not checking in deer & turkey (as required by law), this trend of NOT checking in big game may only grow.

But keep in mind, anyone who kills a true trophy buck is much more likely to get their hunting habits & histories greatly scrutinized by TWRA. They CAN be pretty good at these kind investigations. If a trophy buck was not checked in, they often show up at your taxidermist and confiscate it, or show up at your home instead.

One more thing, failing to check in deer (even a doe) PRIOR to killing that "trophy" buck could cause you to have your big buck confiscated EVEN IF YOU HAD LEGALLY CHECKED IN THE TROPHY BUCK!

Never mind it is now easier than ever to check in your kills, so really no excuse for not, other than snubbing your nose at the rules?

Agree...it's easier to check in deer now than ever...but those who were not checking in before are likely not checking in now....if anything the penalties should be greater now given how convenient and easy it is....I like the app.

megalomaniac

Yes, there were way more hunters in the woods and waters in 2020 than 2021. I talked to Pat's (the fellow that owns Hopedale marina) cousin who helps him run the place during the summer yesterday. I asked her if it was still crazy down there. She said yes, but NOTHING like 2020.

ronnycl

If Twra issues more depredation permits wouldn't that equal fewer deer killed and checked by hunters. Is there a map to see depredation permits issued to property owner&number of permits issued?

If not someone is not doing there job at TWRA because this would be a great management tool, and I am just an average citizen trying to figure out deer density.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I was looking at the deer harvest numbers for this season. I compared harvest numbers from the Last week of Aug (velvet hunt) to Dec 28 for both 2020 and 2021. There was around a 20-22k difference. This year was lower.

Did did covid in 2020 put that many more hunters in the woods? What do y'all think the reason for it is?
Covid or not the #s would be down due to the warm weather and great mast crop.

BSK

In my primary hunting areas, I would say the main reason for a lower deer harvest this year is the monstrous acorn crop.
I've been checking county by county in the areas where I work (mostly western Middle TN). This region is characterized by big sections of hardwood forest. And in this region, buck harvest numbers are WAY down this year. And the reason is the massive acorn crop. This is a trend I've followed for years. As LBLman said, most hunters hunt open areas and any type of ag field or food plot. In a bumper acorn crop, deer don't use open fields or food plots. Noy only do they stay in the woods, acorns digest very slowly hence deer do not have to feed as often. In big acorn years, deer do not have to move far to find food (sometimes never leaving thick cover) and don't have to move as often.

I keep track of what the acorn crop is like each year, giving it a rating of 0 to 10. In the years the acorn crop is an 8 or above, buck harvest numbers decline significantly in my area. And not surprisingly, we see a jump in photo census buck numbers the following year. In years when the acorn crop is a 3 or below, buck harvest spike because deer have to move farther and more often to find food, exposing them to hunters more frequently.

BSK

I agree that reported harvests have declined more than actual harvests have declined over the last 10-15 years due to hunters not checking in deer. But those slow declines over time do not explain sudden and dramatic single year changes. Those are almost always due to weather and acorn crops (in areas of TN where acorns play an important role in fall food sources).

In my county, over the last decade, reported annual buck kills have been ranging in the 1,300 to 1,200 range. Then we will see a bumper acorn crop year and harvests will drop dramatically. This year, the reported number is around 750. That's a massive single year decline, and definitely not due to under-reporting (which is probably a constant from year to year).

BSK

How long do the acorns typically stay good?
White Oak family acorns usually go to root in late November, at which point deer stop using them. However, unique weather conditions can cause them to root earlier or later.

On the other hand, Red Oak family acorns stay good until spring.

Deer fatten up for the rut on White oak acorns. But they survive the winter on Red Oak acorns.

DoubleRidge

I've been checking county by county in the areas where I work (mostly western Middle TN). This region is characterized by big sections of hardwood forest. And in this region, buck harvest numbers are WAY down this year. And the reason is the massive acorn crop. This is a trend I've followed for years. As LBLman said, most hunters hunt open areas and any type of ag field or food plot. In a bumper acorn crop, deer don't use open fields or food plots. Noy only do they stay in the woods, acorns digest very slowly hence deer do not have to feed as often. In big acorn years, deer do not have to move far to find food (sometimes never leaving thick cover) and don't have to move as often.

I keep track of what the acorn crop is like each year, giving it a rating of 0 to 10. In the years the acorn crop is an 8 or above, buck harvest numbers decline significantly in my area. And not surprisingly, we see a jump in photo census buck numbers the following year. In years when the acorn crop is a 3 or below, buck harvest spike because deer have to move farther and more often to find food, exposing them to hunters more frequently.

Very interesting....makes perfect sense.

Latest posts