Hang On Stands

JCDEERMAN

I love them. Have about 25 up. A couple are 15 years old or older. I move most of them and check them every year. I don't leave the seats out to get weathered and change ratchet straps when needed. All but one of them I got for $45 or less over the years. As for comfort, I'm pretty tolerant and stand up most of the time anyways.

AlexDad

I have an aluminum API Bowhunter with armrests, foot rest and a "sling" type seat. I can hang it before sunrise and if I need a nap midday I turn my linesman rope backwards. I hang my safety harness rope high enough that it's just too little slack to reach the foot platform. That way if I fall I don't go far before it jerks me. When I stand to shoot it's fairly out of my way as well.

But I'll sit in my climber with my back to the tree and put my linesman rope around and if I nod off the rope doesn't allow me to lean forward at all plus my safety harness so I feel secure taking a nap.

I have land I bought in 2010 just to hunt and it's dead, no wildlife at all on it. I have a client with 74 acres infested with deer and I have free reign to hunt anytime. However, they don't want me leaving stands there overnight, so I bought a lightweight hang on because their trees aren't climber friendly. He has this land for the sole purpose of forestry and doesn't want me cutting a lot either.

I used to just hunt ladder stands on my property or leave hang ons up. After seeing my land was dead I bought a hang on for other land. I bought a Field and Stream back in 2016 that has since been recalled and the "V" just under and behind the seat that's supposed to bite into the tree sheared off one morning and my harness caught me. Switched to a climber the next day.

I bought the Lone Wolf because I knew it was quality and it was light. I have to walk quite a ways to hunt on the property and it's so full of does it's almost impossible not to get busted, so my ATV going in is a no go.

I started the season in my climber but this was brand new land to me and as I patterned the deer and moved from tree to tree it was a struggle finding a tree for a climber. Sometimes climbing 2-3 trees before finding a tree that didn't taper so much that 10-12' was my limit. That's another thing, I have to really climb high on this land. The canopy is very high to get any kind of back ground to keep from getting outlined so easy. Learned that the hard way.

I have three 32" sticks and I use a three step aider. Bottom step 4' from the ground and about 4ish ft between sticks is about as far up as I can reach the rope to secure them to the tree. When I pull down to lock them in I lose 4-6".

I tied a paracord loop to the batwing on the LW stand and I climb with only one shoulder strap over my shoulder and I screw in a step and hang the stand and then secure the stand and remove screw in step. I have a haul rope tied to the stand and bow is on the other end on the ground. My 30' HSS tether has my backpack tied on the bottom. Then I just pull everything up.

I got my system pretty much down and efficient, it's just so uncomfortable and it doesn't seem I have the room to turn my feet for my shots.

Chucklee338

2-Step Enabled
I started using Millennium stands about 5 years ago. Most comfortable stand I've ever sat in.

catman529

I can hang with a hang on, but they aren't my favorite. Mainly just use a couple permanent stands that I leave up year round. As far as a mobile treestand goes, I like the saddle better than a hang on. It's lighter, quieter and more comfortable.

Walker817

I've always wondered how anyone hunts out of one of the little banana syle seats. I tried them and could only sit a couple hours. Very uncomfortable. I bought a couple of the bone collector hang on stands a few years back. Its like sitting in a recliner in a tree. It has arm rest and a shooting rail. Its more comfortable than any of my climbers. I wished I had a few more. Easy to put up and not that heavy to carry.

Lost Lake

I use a lineman's belt as I go up the tree with screw in steps. Then I can lean back and pull the stand up on a rope with two hands and strap it to the tree. I bring a comfortable cushion with me tied to my pack, so comfort is much better.

I have multiple hang-ons on the property I hunt and leave them season-long, and on public, I use a climber. Anytime I'm on stand, I alternate between sitting and standing at 30 minute intervals, and leave my weapon on a hook until needed.

JCDEERMAN

My oldest loc on is actually grown into the tree, and actually needs no straps anymore. When I stand on the platform, the cables don't even tighten anymore. I still keep straps updated tho. ;)
:p My FIL has many of those. He'll send me to a stand - I can't tell you the words coming out of my mouth when I get to the top of the ladders 30 minutes before daylight. I just strap in tight and ride it out LOL. I've started packing a ratchet strap in my pack when I hunt his place......or use my climber

X-Tennessean

This is where I was when I converted to a saddle.
Everyone I have put in my saddle has converted to a saddle. Including Catman. Lol. All saddles are not created equal some are minimalist saddles and some are more built for comfort.
if you can picture this in your mind
at ground level.
tie knots on the ends of a towel,
tie a rope to each end of the towel above the knots
run a rope around a tree and hook it to the rope on the towel.
Sit down in the towel.
It will give you a idea of what a saddle feels like.
Any one close to Fayettville or Lewisburg I would be happy to meet and you can sit in my saddle.
That is a great way to put it into perspective! Never thought of it that away.
I have two saddles that I have yet to hunt out of because I got into the game late and want to practice with them. I still need to decide my climbing method as well. One stick or multiple, I have yet to buy any sticks but the new EWO one stick is looking more promising! I have the gear to rappel as well. Everything is sold out or sells out as soon as its listed right now!!
I bought the JX3 (played in the yard but have yet to climb with it) SUPER comfortable and also have the Latitude Method metal less. Work and the time change has hindered my practice....dark when I go in and dark when I get off....grrr

ImThere

That is a great way to put it into perspective! Never thought of it that away.
I have two saddles that I have yet to hunt out of because I got into the game late and want to practice with them. I still need to decide my climbing method as well. One stick or multiple, I have yet to buy any sticks but the new EWO one stick is looking more promising! I have the gear to rappel as well. Everything is sold out or sells out as soon as its listed right now!!
I bought the JX3 (played in the yard but have yet to climb with it) SUPER comfortable and also have the Latitude Method metal less. Work and the time change has hindered my practice....dark when I go in and dark when I get off....grrr
The JX3 is crazy comfortable. If you hang and hunt with a lock on you can easily hunt hang and hunt with a JX3. No platform needed The latitude is a very comfortable two panel. You will need a platform of some type so if you want to be the most mobile pick a stick you can mount a platform on top of it. Do you hunt from a climber now? Or hang 3/4 sticks and use a hang on?

X-Tennessean

The JX3 is crazy comfortable. If you hang and hunt with a lock on you can easily hunt hang and hunt with a JX3. No platform needed The latitude is a very comfortable two panel. You will need a platform of some type so if you want to be the most mobile pick a stick you can mount a platform on top of it. Do you hunt from a climber now? Or hang 3/4 sticks and use a hang on?
I have a set of 6 tree hopper steps on an OCB strap for the JX3 and plan on a platform to add to the mix.
I hunted from a climber for years but for the last 3-4 years have just went strictly ladder stands or ground hunting. I truly enjoy hunting from the ground especially during gun season. Have killed several with a bow from the ground as well but have gotten busted more than once. Have never hunted a loc on, never thought I would feel safe/comfortable in them!

swd

Another saddle hunting convert here. I am more confident in my saddle than anything. The Summit Viper edges it out on comfort, but the saddle crushes on portability (weight and ease of getting through brush) and safety. My total setup to hand and hunt is under 10 pounds with my climbing gear. I use one stick to climb and rappel down from hunting hunt at the end of the day.

I have found that I am more comfortable in my saddle than sitting in a shooting house with an office arm chair. I have to get up and stretch a lot in the office chair.

Hduke86

I do like hang on stands for my private property places but as you said you can't leave them up over night. I tried out a different saddle this year from Cruzr XC. They're made in Cookeville and are crazy comfortable. I've used Tethrd and enjoyed them just fine but with the Cruzr XC I can expand the "seat" and it cradles perfect for when I want to sit. I think if you are comfortable using sticks with 3 step aiders that a saddle would be a good option for you. If you would like to try one out before buying one just call Cruzr and go to their shop and they will be very helpful.

JeepKuntry

I went with a Millenium m7 for mobile setup. Just my opinion as I went back and forth between Millenium and Lone Wolf, but comfort was a big consideration so I will only be Millenium hangons. TBH most mobile setups don't save much weight. My climber is 23lbs. Most mobile setups are around 10lbs., sticks 6-8lbs. 5lbs is nothing to me.

Latest posts