Hang on stands

TRIGGER

LanceS4803":1k0rm33d said:
Coker":1k0rm33d said:
I have also thought about buying the safety rope that runs the length of the tree that you can attach to before/during climbing.

I used a section of green Army climbing rope for mine. Tied at the top and bottom. Before I start up I hook into the line with a jumar ascender that is attached to my safety harness. Too easy.

I bought one of these ropes before season and used it for the first time this year and felt MUCH safer.

Gravey

I only have one lock on right now but will be going that way more in the future as long as I can find them with the zero gravity seats like a lot of ladders have. If I'm not comfortable I can't sit there for hours on end. They are much easier to hide, go higher, and put up. I do use multiple ratchets on them just like I do my ladders. Probably overkill but I can step on any corner and its rock solid.

Winchester

Hang ons are GREAT and can be made as solid as any stand out there. Some have chains while others use nylon straps. I personally put on a 2nd strap at the stand base regardless of what is used to connect the stand at the seat level. This way you are never at the mercy of one connection holding you/stand at 25 feet!

chrmayo

I've got 2 old hang on stands my dad bought me when I was younger. Both of them have the t screw. You screw it in the tree then the stand has a hole in it up by the tree and it slides on the T and then you chain to tree. Also have a ratchet strap at bottom by t and another at top by chain. It's pretty sturdy and never felt like it was going anywhere.

Debo03

I have used many, There are a ton of varieties, all with different weights, sizes and features that can be very useful and some are a MUST HAVE!

Though not always the case, this statement usually carries true in my experience. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"! Stands from companies like LoneWolf can get really expensive but the quality and safety that comes with the pricetag is often unmatched. My recommendation is to go with this option, or for a slightly smaller pricetag with very similar products XOP treestands. There are many other brands that make quality loc-ons (muddy, big game, ameristep, millinium, field and stream, hawk, etc.) but none as quiet, solid, light, and versatile as LoneWolf or XOP. Their platforms are 1 piece Cast aluminum so you don't get all the creaking and cracking that most welded stands get at the worst time.

If used correctly with correct safety harness and linesman belt they every bit as safe as any climber or ladder stand or EVEN SAFER. The key is to REMAIN TIED IN TO THE TREE AT ALL TIMES. There are good youtube videos that show you exactly how to do so. Ex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHkbZrw4aw

I would dare to say that 99% of people who use ladder stands are not attached to a safety harness while ascending or descending the ladder. In this case I would consider those people to be in more danger than using a good loc-on CORRECTLY with a good safety harness and remaining connected to the tree at all times.

And trust me, I've worked in residential roofing, falling from a ladder while climbing up and down is a very real risk, even at 8-12 feet.

TboneD

Debo03":3bcy5j9d said:
I have used many, There are a ton of varieties, all with different weights, sizes and features that can be very useful and some are a MUST HAVE!

Though not always the case, this statement usually carries true in my experience. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"! Stands from companies like LoneWolf can get really expensive but the quality and safety that comes with the pricetag is often unmatched. My recommendation is to go with this option, or for a slightly smaller pricetag with very similar products XOP treestands. There are many other brands that make quality loc-ons (muddy, big game, ameristep, millinium, field and stream, hawk, etc.) but none as quiet, solid, light, and versatile as LoneWolf or XOP. Their platforms are 1 piece Cast aluminum so you don't get all the creaking and cracking that most welded stands get at the worst time..

Coming from a former owner of a couple of Lone Wolf hang-ons, I gotta tell ya. For the size of the platform, the stands are heavy. Yes, they'll level on leaning trees. However, I think that you just get more bang for your buck with some of the others you mentioned. If a cast platform is the way to go, then why did Lone Wolf start selling a stand with a non-cast aluminum platform? Millenium stands are supposed to be really nice, but for my dollars I'd check out the Hawk hang-ons. My Helium XL's are welded at all the contact points on the heavy aluminum oversized grate platform, 24" (by 30") wide out front where it counts, and only weigh 12 lbs. Memory foam in the seat, too.

Vermin93

A properly installed hang on stand with an extra ratchet strap is rock solid on a tree. Whatever climbing system you use must also be properly installed. Think of it as a system - you have the treestand plus whatever tree steps, climbing sticks, stick ladder or other means you use to get up and into the treestand safely.

Also, I have over 20 hang on stands of various makes and models and I can tell you they are not all created equal when it comes to comfort, performance and price. Choose wisely.

ImThere

Vermin93":3tst6m2q said:
A properly installed hang on stand with an extra ratchet strap is rock solid on a tree. Whatever climbing system you use must also be properly installed. Think of it as a system - you have the treestand plus whatever tree steps, climbing sticks, stick ladder or other means you use to get up and into the treestand safely.

Also, I have over 20 hang on stands of various makes and models and I can tell you they are not all created equal when it comes to comfort, performance and price. Choose wisely.
Care to expand on some of you likes and dislike with various stands? I like my hang on and us a stadium seat on mine but was looking at the hammock style seats

Debo03

TboneD":3h5i3h4u said:
Debo03":3h5i3h4u said:

Though not always the case, this statement usually carries true in my experience. "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"! Stands from companies like LoneWolf can get really expensive but the quality and safety that comes with the pricetag is often unmatched. My recommendation is to go with this option, or for a slightly smaller pricetag with very similar products XOP treestands. There are many other brands that make quality loc-ons (muddy, big game, ameristep, millinium, field and stream, hawk, etc.) but none as quiet, solid, light, and versatile as LoneWolf or XOP. Their platforms are 1 piece Cast aluminum so you don't get all the creaking and cracking that most welded stands get at the worst time..

Coming from a former owner of a couple of Lone Wolf hang-ons, I gotta tell ya. For the size of the platform, the stands are heavy. Yes, they'll level on leaning trees. However, I think that you just get more bang for your buck with some of the others you mentioned. If a cast platform is the way to go, then why did Lone Wolf start selling a stand with a non-cast aluminum platform? Millenium stands are supposed to be really nice, but for my dollars I'd check out the Hawk hang-ons. My Helium XL's are welded at all the contact points on the heavy aluminum oversized grate platform, 24" (by 30") wide out front where it counts, and only weigh 12 lbs. Memory foam in the seat, too.

To answer your question, many Lone Wolf users had been asking for a more affordable stand from a reputable Made in the USA company(Lone Wolf). Lone Wolf's response was that they can't make a cast stand any cheaper so they made a stand with a non-cast platform in case anyone wanted a more affordable option but still wanted a Lone Wolf stand.

Everything else you stated I agree with. Like I mentioned in my original post, there are plenty of options and they all offer different options that suit different needs. I've used tons of different ones and have found a solid use for all of them.

TboneD

Debo03":rq1vnd8v said:
TboneD":rq1vnd8v said:
Debo03":rq1vnd8v said:

To answer your question, many Lone Wolf users had been asking for a more affordable stand from a reputable Made in the USA company(Lone Wolf). Lone Wolf's response was that they can't make a cast stand any cheaper so they made a stand with a non-cast platform in case anyone wanted a more affordable option but still wanted a Lone Wolf stand.

Everything else you stated I agree with. Like I mentioned in my original post, there are plenty of options and they all offer different options that suit different needs. I've used tons of different ones and have found a solid use for all of them.

Yes, I get the Lone Wolf appeal, and was just being a bit facetious with their, let's call it, "unorthodox" approach to marketing. Anyhow, like I said, I've had 'em.... three their hang-on stands and the hand climber model as well. I didn't care for the climber much, but the hang-on stands are great for slipping in to hang a stand in most any tree within earshot of a bucks known bedding area. Absolutely terrible for staying in the stand during the rut, though, whether it's the cables hugging your calves while standing or the "waffle iron" of a seat, which my old hunting buddy called his before selling it to me. Of course, you can spend $55 for their "comfort seat," but then you find out that you can't pack the sticks on the stand the way Andre designed it. No wonder Andre and his son are behind the XOP brand. Anyhow, I'll get off of Lone Wolf and agree with you. There's different options for different situations and preferences. Hang-on stands sure have come a long way, no matter how you look at it, and I sure don't miss my old Amacker's light expanded grate or my old API's riveted platform. You want snap and pop in your rice krispies, not your tree stand. Stick with something solid....but I don't mean that literally. ;)

weatherby man

I hunt 99% of the time on my own ground so the stands are really tight. I use well chain and I digs into the tree a bit and does not move. The only movement is when the tree sways in the wind ( depending on tree size). I got away from these for several years but am putting 2 up this coming year. They hide easily and I don't get up too high anyway. The older I have gotten the less I like heights. I think its because my cousin (DR) told me at our age we tend to splatter rather than bounce.

Latest posts