HAND HELD GPS'S

Still-n-Quiet

Ok. Found out what I was doing wrong. Couple of observations:

If you select a large area (over a half a county or so), the file will most likely be broken up into chunks no bigger than 250MB. Each will have a button on the download page. Also, each additional bit of information you select will also have a button (streams, roads, railroads, etc.).

This is where my confusion began. I had mistakely assumed each button was just another mirror to download from.

Good news is that steps 1 through 3 have worked for me and I am pressing on. Bad news is that it is really limited to about 1/3 to 1/2 a county area. Meaning that I need to do this for each area I go hiking, hunting or mountain biking; which is quite a pain.

Thanks for all the help, though. I am going to get at least one of these done!

Still-n-Quiet

Well, now I've successfully completed step 3 and the expected topo lines show up. I am having a bear of a time getting the "Import" working for the *.shp files. I tried to download the streams and lake data from NHD, but map edit doesn't like their *.shp files. I can import the *.shp files from USGS seemless, but the names are just generic names (like "Intermediary Road" and "Stream").

Did you follow these steps from this site? Where did you get the roads info and the stream/lakes info?

Thanks!

Eric/SpringCaller

I use a lowrance I-Finder with the National Geographic Topo Software. I think it is kind of a pain to use when you are trying to hunt and use it. I find it very very useful in trying to scoute pre-season though. This year I have collected about 300 plus waypoints for rubs, scrapes, trails,bedding areas, food sources, and water. When your walking throught he woods logging this info in your head you forget a lot of it and it is almost impossible to pin point the best hunting areas. I have been able to find three new stand locations that I think will result in a nice deer this year. If any of you need a topo map let me know.

TheLBLman

A couple weeks ago I received a new GPS that obsoletes about everything else available prior to now (at least for a reasonable price) - The Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 I've not mastered this one yet, but so far, I've been extremely impressed. And the viewing screen is the only one I've ever had that I could actually see well in bright sunlight.

This particular GPS is made by DeLorme (the map people), and it overlays real USGS 7.5-minute Quads along with aerial photographs.
You can check it out at www.delorme.com/PN20
I received a reduced price introductory deal on it (which included lots of accessories and aerial downloads), but the regular price is only $369.95 --- a real value considering . . . . . .

What I like about it best is that I now have "real" high resolution top maps (USGS 7.5-minute Quads) which are the same on both my handheld GPS and my computer, as well as aerial photographs. This solves my biggest past complaint with many other GPS units I've had in that their proprietary topo maps (by Magellan & Garmin) was not nearly as good or detailed as the Delorme maps I used on my computer.

Other key features include:

High resolution color screen with total clarity in conditions ranging from glaring sun to full darkness.

Outstanding signal retention under forest canopies.

Virtually unlimited data storage (uses SD cards in a waterproof storage compartment).

Electronic compass.

And it's completely waterproof.

Hogbear

WesParrish said:
A couple weeks ago I received a new GPS that obsoletes about everything else...

Other key features include:

High resolution color screen with total clarity in conditions ranging from glaring sun to full darkness.

Outstanding signal retention under forest canopies.

Virtually unlimited data storage (uses SD cards in a waterproof storage compartment).

Electronic compass.

And it's completely waterproof.

It doesn't have an electronic compass but a "compass type display" that only works when you are moving according to Delorme's website and the reviews that I've read. Still, it sounds like a neat unit. Three pretty good reviews are here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... S%20PN-20/

TheLBLman

Hogbear said:
It doesn't have an electronic compass but a "compass type display" that only works when you are moving according to Delorme's website and the reviews that I've read. Still, it sounds like a neat unit.
I've not experimented much with the electronic compass aspect, but it must work just like a compass even when you're moving at normal walking speeds.

Francis

I have been very lucky with GPS. I worked with one of the original GPS Govt contract reps. He knew the original inventors of GPS. I spoke with him for hours on the subject. I have alot of insite. I have had numerous GPS devises over the years. Here's the bottom line:
Trimble is the grand daddy of them all. Magellan is a close 2nd. Garmin did not do research and development, but has a lot of good user friendly screens. No matter who you use, they are a tool to supplement Mr. map and compass. They can save your life, but don't bet your life on them. They have batteries. Batteries die. Just like anything, the more you practice, the better the tool is when you use it. Supplement your compass with GPS, not the other way around. I just bought 2 old/discontinued Magellans for my kids to learn on. They do not have map on the screens. If your do, then enjoy them. My point is that the old ones work great if you know how to navigate. Don't let the fancy new ones fool you, you have to use a map and practice.

Hogbear

If Trimble is the Grand Daddy, I guess that makes Rockwell Collins the Great Grand Daddy. We were using those suitcase-sized manpacks back in the 80's at 29 Palms and China Lake when coverage was very spotty. We got the Trmble Trimpacks later.

Francis

Rockwell had distribution based on the govt. contract. Some of the inventors themselves were/are tied in at Trimble. They all had ties together before the launching of the block I sat's. It was the Navy's original request that started the whole GPS in motion. I'm just glad the civilians get to use the system. Hard to remember sometimes that it did not always exist, sorta like cell phones but not so intrusive.

mike243

i finaly got a 2 gig sd card & loaded the whole state on my gps,looks like there's enuf room to put some more states in if needed,its great to be able to look at our lease & see the elevations,mike243

Latest posts