ham leg?

3006hollowpoint

I rubbed my last one down with McCormick Cowboy Rub and cooked at 250 for 3 hours and it was done, tender, and tasted like a beef roast. But I wanna try something... different. I stay in a condo so I don't have a smoker or a grill, so oven is where its at.

WMAn

If you are talking about an entire (rear) leg of venison, here is a recipe I plan to try soon:

Roast Leg of Venison, Unmarinated

- 10 larding strips, 1 1/2 to 2" long (1/4 lb to 1/2 lb salt pork)
- 6 lb leg of venison
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/4 lb butter, softened
- 1 TB dried thyme
- 3 TB flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 1/4 cups stock or beef broth

1. Use a larding needle to insert garlic slices and larding strips into roast (If you don't have a larding needle, use a small knife to cut slits, use finger to push garlic into slits, and use toothpicks to place larding strips around roast)
2. Rub all surfaces of the leg with softened butter and dust with dried thyme and 1 TB flour
3. Heat oven to 325, put leg in uncovered roasting pan, add 1/2 cup stock, put roast in oven
4. Add liquid if necessary, use a meat thermometer and roast to 120 degrees for rare (figure on 16 minutes to the pound)
5. If you wish turn the oven up to 450-500 to brown the roast during the last 10 minutes
6. Turn off the oven, wave the door open and shut a few times to reduce the heat, remove and discard any cracklings from larding strips, place leg on a metal pan and back in the oven to keep warm
7. On stove top, place 2 TB flour in pan drippings and use the burners on your stove, extra flour, and liquid to get the gravy to your desired consistency
8. Add a dash of worcestershire and kitchen bouquet to the gravy then salt and pepper to taste
9. Serve gravy in a sauceboat
10. Carve leg and serve at once on warmed plates

Guests must be instructed to eat as soon as they are served. Do not let good manners spoil a great roast. Eat it while it's hot.

Latest posts