Habitat for Humanity

89cherokeelimited

My wife and I volunteered for the Habitat for Humanity today, (my moms work needed a few more volunteers so she asked if we would volunteer)(We had 25 volunteers per house)
They had 3 houses going at one time and finish a house in about 4 weekends. Sat and Sun for 4 weekends.
I was kinda dreading working today on a house but once we got there and seen the family we were helping it was well worth it.
Everybody busted their butts!!! We completely put siding up on our one house, put insulation in the exterior walls, and the soffett boxes in our house from just 8am-2pm with a 40 min lunch.

It made me realize how good my wife and I have it. My wife is stay at home and I only work mon-fri and we normally buy anything we want.
To see the family and how grateful they were for the help, it made it all worth the while.
If you have a free Sat or Sun that you don't have anything to do and would like to help a family out atleast for 1 day look up Habitat for Humanity and check out volunteering.
It was pretty rewarding.

cecil30-30

Supporter
Its a good thing they do,but I know a family personally that had a roof put on this past summer,and I was amazed at the lack of know how these people had.They had a different crews for each week,all was out of towners they would work a week and go home,and then the next week a new crew would come in.They did this for 6 weeks,to put 1 tin roof on,and I must say,ray charles could have done a better job.It looks horrible and is already leaking.Its so out of square it isn't funny.One end of the house has a 2 inch over hang,while the other end has a 12 inch over hang.And then don't get me started on the valleys..LOL Yeah,its a good geusture,and it is free,but the way I see it, is this family is already saveing up to have the roof completely replaced by profressionals..Complete waste of time and material.

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled
I am sure that is a great cause.
It has been severely abused in my part of the world though.

Not sure if abused is the right word but it sickens me to watch a very nice home be built and 2 years later it is falling to pieces due to neglect. :mad:

Gimme something free so I can let it fall down around me while I sit on the porch and drink and sell dope.

89cherokeelimited

The ones in Nashville we are doing they told us today that Habitat is responsible for this development for 20 years.
They told us the roofs that were done on these houses were done by pros. The concrete slab is done by pros then framing is volunteers roof is pros and everything else but electric is volunteers.
We seen some other lots in pictures that were not very good by other offices but the actual Nashville office these people were meticulous about the work performed... They weren't annoying meticulous but if even the siding was off by 1/4" the piece had to come down and a new one put up.
But the office we worked with only does new construction houses too, average of 6 days per house but after the work day we walked through the houses and these houses were built better then a few hundred new houses i've walked through. They are smaller in size but laid out very well and built very well. I only seen the houses in the housing development we worked in but they said the new homes were under their care for 20 years so it had to be done right and pass strict inspections.
My mom was was a realtor, office manager, and final walk through inspector for a house and commercial building company for 17 years and she said the houses we worked on today were beyond the expectations of their company.

We seen some pics of other housing developments and some of them looked like they were not taken care of very well. Hopefully the office saying they watch over them for 20 years they actually do.

I know they ask for donations but if I had 3 lots I owned their is no way I would donate them. That's a lot of work and money just to donate away. I'm with ya on keeping your land.

Latest posts