• Help Support TNDeer:

Guys that bowhunt during gun?

Laserman1

For those that bowhunt during gun? How about sharing what got you motivated to do this. I would like to try it but can’t get over the gun/bow hurdle. Seems like I see many deer out of range during bow season and once muzzle and gun open, can’t bring myself to stick to bow. Just looking for pointers that made you do it.

TN Larry

There's a thread in the Deer Hunting forum discussing bow only in 2021.

For me personally, I seem to bow hunt less and less over the past few years.

BlackBelt

I have a few friends that are excellent bow hunters that only bow hunt for several reasons.

Some are hardcore and love the primitive hunt style. They appreciate each deer killed because it takes a LOT of work, skill and a bit of luck to make everything work successfully.

Three guys I know bow hunt deer season-round because they are felons and can not have firearms in their possession.

I know a couple of guys that hunt small parcels that border residential areas. They dont want to have problems with the homeowners because of the non-hunters reactions to loud rifle reports, so they hunt quietly just using bows.

1908_Cubbies

I hunt bow 95% of the time. Where I usually hunt, gun is too easy (for the kill, not necessarily the hunt). I typically don't have opportunity for shots over 75 yards.

Grnwing

I gun hunt the same way I bow hunt when it comes to whitetails. When scouting and setting up most of my spots are with archery shots in mind, that being said most of my kills are less than 50 yards with either my bow or rifle. I think a lot of rifle hunters back themselves out to see more or cover a larger area. When you really start breaking it down you can eliminate a lot of unproductive ground and hone in a specific area. Grant it, there are plenty of times that a gun would have killed a deer while I was sitting with my bow, but the gratification I get from doing it with a bow far exceeds a gun kill.

Planking

I gun hunt more now because i just don't fool with shooting a deer most years. The reason i bow hunted during gun is because there's just not much of a challenge in hunting deer in general with a gun.

JN

I just enjoy it and the challenge. I still gun hunt when going to certain properties or if I am hunting with a friend in a box blind we have over looking a few fields. I have harvested a mature buck with a gun and muzzleloader so next is to harvest one with a bow and why I hunt with a bow most of time now. I also enjoy using a muzzleloader (iron sights and hammer/percussion cap) just as much as a bow. There has been several years I only used bow/muzzleloader the entire season.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts