Guy found an old Colt

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I apologize for the lack of details but a pretty neat story anyway.
One of my best friend's nephews has a friend that is redoing his grandfather's house in South Carolina.
Inside a wall he found an old revolving rifle.
All he knew about it was it was a 44 caliber.
Dunno if it was a 44 or 44/40 or what.
His nephew said he had no clue but knew a guy who owned an antique shop and he would be willing to tell him all about it.

Guy looks at it and, I assume, told him all about it but never mentioned what it was "worth".
Guy asked if he was interested in selling it.
The guy that found the gun said, I guess it depends. Make me an offer.
Guy says, will you take $26,000 for it?
:oops: :eek:
Dude took the money and RAN!

I am going to try and find out more about it. With him offering that much it makes me wonder what it was and what it might have been worth to someone else. :D

DaveB

Might have initials or a single digit serial number. If his first offer was that high no telling the true worth.

Wobblyshot1

Interesting...I knew of Colt's revolving rifle. Finding it inside a wall in an old house in the South indicates imho a southerner with southern sympathies hiding a gun from the Union soldiers. Of course, if found out, it would have been considered contraband with appropriate punishment likely. I've heard of other old civil war era homes that had muskets and such found in the same manner within their walls. Now, how an assumed person of the South came into possession of it is a little puzzling...I don't think the Southern army had any, but I may be wrong. Below is a link to what I believe it is...

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...is-old-gun-colt-model-1855-revolving-carbine/

Omega

Hope it wasn't one of these, he could have been ripped off.

s-l1600.jpg

Hunter 257W

This discussion makes me want to watch "El Dorado" again. That's the rifle Bull was shooting when he was clanging the church bells to run Bart Jason's men out.

7mm08

I apologize for the lack of details but a pretty neat story anyway.
One of my best friend's nephews has a friend that is redoing his grandfather's house in South Carolina.
Inside a wall he found an old revolving rifle.
All he knew about it was it was a 44 caliber.
Dunno if it was a 44 or 44/40 or what.
His nephew said he had no clue but knew a guy who owned an antique shop and he would be willing to tell him all about it.

Guy looks at it and, I assume, told him all about it but never mentioned what it was "worth".
Guy asked if he was interested in selling it.
The guy that found the gun said, I guess it depends. Make me an offer.
Guy says, will you take $26,000 for it?
:oops: :eek:
Dude took the money and RAN!

I am going to try and find out more about it. With him offering that much it makes me wonder what it was and what it might have been worth to someone else. :D
If that shop was in Beaufort I know the guy. Beautiful guns and incredible sporting artwork

Latest posts