Gunsmith Recommendation

rsimms

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith near Chattanooga/Hamilton County?

I need a red dot scope mounted on a muzzleloader.

I prefer "old school" irons sights. However, my eyes just won't allow that anymore. I can wear glasses and focus on the sights, but deer become a blur. Or I can leave the glasses off and focus on the deer, but sights become a blur. :(

Maude

Jack Kirkman of Old Hickory Gunsmithing can help you with that. 423-774-8400
He's mounted the mounting bases for 2 Burris FF3's on a couple of my turkey guns and I've been very pleased.

Hduke86

I prefer "old school" irons sights. However, my eyes just won't allow that anymore. I can wear glasses and focus on the sights, but deer become a blur. Or I can leave the glasses off and focus on the deer, but sights become a blur. :(
I think his name is Craig that owns Montlake shooting range up on the mountain in Soddy

rsimms

If memory serves me correctly you are using an old Hawken style muzzleloader. Is the Rifle going to have to be drilled and tapped for the mounts?
Actually is has already been tapped. Years ago I wanted to try a scope on it. I didn't like the scope and removed it. I assumed the same tap holes wouldn't work for a new sight.

Turns out I was wrong. I was able to use the existing holes to mount a new red dot. Now I just need to sight in, but I'm in search of a bore sight to start the process so I don't have to go through as much black powder.

LookinforDirt

I've had good luck with the inexpensive laser bore sighting tools. Can't recall the brand but it was around $20. Gets me on paper every time at 25 yards. Usually a few inches low so I've learned to sight in a little high with it to get me closer first time around. It is consistent though and that's what matters.

rsimms

I've had good luck with the inexpensive laser bore sighting tools. Can't recall the brand but it was around $20. Gets me on paper every time at 25 yards. Usually a few inches low so I've learned to sight in a little high with it to get me closer first time around. It is consistent though and that's what matters.
Good to know. I'll do some Googling on that.

rsimms

Saw a little activity on this old thread so figured I'd update. I did buy a bore sight online (as LookinforDirt mentioned). It worked well. Got me in near proximity quickly and was able to fine-tune with just a few shots. It worked well. Center punched this one at about 50 yards.

I don't like the way my replica Hawken looks with the red dot sight on it. But clean kills are more important than looks.

ML_Doe2.jpgML_Doe3.jpg

Last edited:

Chickencoop96

There's a feller in Cleveland who's been doing it for 20+ years, has all the equipment to do everything you need. His name is Jimmie Wilson i believe. Custom gunsmithing in Cleveland. nice guy.

Latest posts