Gumbo

edtcase

edtcase

First attempt. Hope this goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapman

Chapman

What are you going to use, chicken,sausage, seafood? My wife is from Tennessee but she can make a fine gumbo. My favorite is gumbo with shrimp and crab meat.

edtcase

edtcase

Chapman":2ldpm0ch said:
What are you going to use, chicken,sausage, seafood? My wife is from Tennessee but she can make a fine gumbo. My favorite is gumbo with shrimp and crab meat.

I have chicken sausage and shrimp in this batch. It’s simmering the afternoon away now. First roux did not turn out good at all. Second one is much better. We’ll see!

D

diamond hunter

Personally,I make my roux in the oven,same ingrediants and stir every 15 minutes,seems like its at 200 degrees but I may be wrong.

edtcase

edtcase

TAFKAP said:
Alton Brown's method.....but for the love of all that's holy, use some type of animal fat, NOT VEGETABLE OIL. Butter, duck fat, bacon grease, lard.

I used lard. It turned out so good. I’m miserable.

TX300mag

TX300mag

Andouille sausage is a must. I've put a little bit of everything in it-squirrel, rabbit, catfish, gar, deer, crawfish, shrimp-even and eel I caught on KY lake once. All you need is andouille and chicken to make a good bowl, though. I used to prefer a blonde roux, but over time I grew to prefer a dark roux-maybe it was just getting it right.

And yes, PLEASE use something besides vegetable oil.

TX300mag

TX300mag

And my preference is to serve over boudin rather than simply rice, but that's just a preference.

edtcase

edtcase

We used rice tonight. It was REALLY good but I will change a few things next time.

B

brass magnet

TX300mag":3mnjja8l said:
And my preference is to serve over boudin rather than simply rice, but that's just a preference.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This, all day, every time, was thinking I was the only one, take this mans advice, he's right. :tu: ^^^^^^^^^^