gulf coast shorebound fishing in june?

Trapper John

Pompano hit early in the morning on sand fleas or shrimp in the surf. Not a whole lot to it. Use a fluoro leader because they're about the spookiest fish I've dealt with.

Other than that you could get into some whiting or bluefish. Redfish are caught a lot in the surf whether you target them or not. They eat anything from what I've seen. Bluefish are fun but end up being a nuisance unless you really want to catch them. I was after dinner so they just annoyed me.

Ladyfish rule the surf. They're saltwater skipjacks and love to take your bait before other fish can get to it.

Diehard Hunter

Holler at me at the vous. I can show you the rigs you need for the different species you can catch, and will give you some pointers on where to catch them and when. Been doing it for years.

antelope280

The pier in Orange beach/Gulf shores, a lot of bang for the buck. Just about anything, redfish and king mackerel, spanish mackerel, pompano, flounder. Great facility, around $8.00 a day including your license. The best pier I've ever fished. I'm pretty sure they have a website with frequent updates.

memace

antelope280 said:
The pier in Orange beach/Gulf shores, a lot of bang for the buck. Just about anything, redfish and king mackerel, spanish mackerel, pompano, flounder. Great facility, around $8.00 a day including your license. The best pier I've ever fished. I'm pretty sure they have a website with frequent updates.

Here is the Website. They are nice folks over there.

GSSP Pier

lung-buster

We went last June and fished off the GSSP for a couple of days. Prety good action but didnt like fishing in the crowd at the end. The spanish were bitin good and had lots of fun catchin them from the peir. They were hittin a gotcha plug. Back on the beach we caught several sharks, nuthin over 4ft though. Fishin out of the kayak throwing a spoon and had a blast until the ole sharkys started showing up. We stayed a week and caught a bunch of different fish. The sharks were close to the beach when we were there. They kept breakin steel leaders that were 6ft. We are loading up and goin back the first of June for three days.

stik

lung-buster said:
We went last June and fished off the GSSP for a couple of days. Prety good action but didnt like fishing in the crowd at the end. The spanish were bitin good and had lots of fun catchin them from the peir. They were hittin a gotcha plug. Back on the beach we caught several sharks, nuthin over 4ft though. Fishin out of the kayak throwing a spoon and had a blast until the ole sharkys started showing up. We stayed a week and caught a bunch of different fish. The sharks were close to the beach when we were there. They kept breakin steel leaders that were 6ft. We are loading up and goin back the first of June for three days.

i am a seasoned pier fisherman and am used to the "combat" fishing. as long as everybody realizes tangles and stuff are going to happen, it's a good time. i have a box full of gotchas :grin: i was just wondering what species i could expect that time of year. love them mackerels.

JimFromTN

You never said where you were going. In June you can expect reds, silver trout, pompano, and trash fish (whiting, croakers, pin fish, catfish ...) in the surf. You might try night fishing in the surf for sharks as well. You can do it during the day but people get annoyed with you if you are in a populated area. Depending where you go, you may have access to inshore fishing where you can get into some specs. I personaly prefer specs for eating. I think they taste the best. You just have to be able to get beyond those nasty little spaghetti worms. Just don't make sushi out of it and you'll be fine.

Latest posts