Grow What in Wet Ground

hard county

If ladino clover will not grow there, then nothing else will grow there in the winter. I have some planted that has water standing on it as much as off of it during the winter, it is the best stand I have.
If you cant grow anything in the winter, there are a number of things that would work in the summer. We plant millett and tartary buckwheat in an absolute swamp for duck season and have a lot of success.
Just make sure the field is as even as possible as any holes that hold water will be more likely not to grow clover in.

deerchaser007

Most of the research i've found on that issue (really wet soils) is to use american jointvetch(aeschynomene). It has been proven to last under stands of water for prolonged periods. This is only a warm season annual though.

If you wanted clover,....... durana clover was proven to last under water for 10 days. This is more than any other variety of white clover tested. The only wet soil mix i have for clovers is 6 lbs durana white, 10 lbs crimson clover, and 50 lbs annual rye. This would be a fall planting.

Hope that helped,......

CWT

plilfloyd.. I too have a wet field on our property and I am going with ladino clover for a food plot. This may be the direction you might want to consider. You may have to wait until it is dry during the summer but, if it stays damp all the time you want have any trouble getting it started. You also may very well have the best plot in the area in the hot summer & early bow seasons because your plot will be green from moisture just below the surface when everyone elses may be dried up. This if just my opinion as all the posts are good as clover is by far the way to go. Keep it simple and I think you will be happy. "nothing ventured , nothing gained" let us know how it comes out.
cwt

Tree Man

I have a neighbor that has planted buckwheat the last two years. This ground is under water now and is wet natured. But with the droughts of the past two years it has been hight and dry.

Latest posts