• Help Support TNDeer:

Grouse

buckaroo

I used to love hunting them here in east TN hills, but in the last 15 yrs seems they have disappeared. Coons, coyotes, hawks, have made a dent in their population, have any of you seen any lately? I suppose they might be some in higher elevations

Grnwing

I haven't hunted grouse in Tennessee but on some family land up in Wisconsin and if I recall, ruffed grouse populations tend to go in a 7-9 year cycle. Not sure what attributes to the rise and fall but wishful thinking would have me hoping that TN is just in the down side of the cycle.

7mm08

Old timers tell you turkeys will eat the eggs and chicks. When raptor cycles are up, grouse are down. Grouse population also prefer a 5-10 year tree cut area... in other words 5-10 years after trees are cut is their prime habitat. Clear cutting was good for grouse in TN. I used to hunt them quite a bit. Fake knee doesn’t allow for that shenanigans now. I even co-authored an article about East TN grouse hunting for Grouse Point Almanac......

you know , that’s what is trolls do in our spare time!! Ha!!

Last edited:

7mm08

I haven't hunted grouse in Tennessee but on some family land up in Wisconsin and if I recall, ruffed grouse populations tend to go in a 7-9 year cycle. Not sure what attributes to the rise and fall but wishful thinking would have me hoping that TN is just in the down side of the cycle.
A small bud on the Birch trees is what is postulated as what causes those cycles. No buds, no birds.

A noble bird to hunt, a great bird to eat.

bigjohn

I still see a few here in the East, Tn hills and hollers but not often. This spring I had a covey of quail on my place for the first time in 15 years. I’m anxious to see if they are back this year.

Planking

When i was a kid we saw lots of them. They are gone now. I haven't seen one in at least 20 years. I agree with your reasons as to why.

Last edited:

Setterman

It’s certainly not what it was 20-30 years ago, or even 5 years ago. Still some birds, but nothing like the past.

endless primo habitat just not the population we should have.

No one knows what’s caused it either. Lots of guessing but no real answers. I still hunt several days a week as it’s good exercise and something to do this time of year

archer19

High octane wild chickens......
hearing the “drumming” is great
some years see a few....
some years see none......

buckaroo

It’s certainly not what it was 20-30 years ago, or even 5 years ago. Still some birds, but nothing like the past.

endless primo habitat just not the population we should have.

No one knows what’s caused it either. Lots of guessing but no real answers. I still hunt several days a week as it’s good exercise and something to do this time of year
How many do you jump and what county if you don’t mind

41Magnum

Haven’t seen a grouse in several years in the area I hunt. Years ago you couldn’t go up there on the mountain without seeing several grouse, every trip. You just knew where to go and they were there. I haven’t even heard one drumming in years.

Displaced_Vol

Seems to be the same story in East KY. I never have tried to hunt them but know some that have/did and it’s nothing like it used to be apparently. That’s a shame.

GOHUNT

Back when we wasn’t so old and lazy I hunted in the mountains of Greene and Washington counties. I always carried a single shot shotgun while scouting once grouse season opened jut in case. Once in a while.....

Attachments

• 91BA9D52-27B7-45F5-9255-87E6150462AA.jpeg
    91BA9D52-27B7-45F5-9255-87E6150462AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
  • E59CDE6B-EF59-48AB-BB91-88595A1CDB30.jpeg
    E59CDE6B-EF59-48AB-BB91-88595A1CDB30.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 80

Newt

Used to hear them drumming 15 years ago on catoosa while turkey hunting. That’s a thing of the past now have talked to the local TWRA guys about it and they don’t really know either besides predators??

PalsPal

hearing the “drumming” is great
Years ago while turkey hunting, I kept hearing someone in the distance trying to pull start a push mower. But I could not figure who it might be or where they would be. I guess it was my dad who told me it was actually a grouse drumming.

larry ipock

Had a W. VA. grouse hunter tell me the same thing about turkeys eating the diddles, When you think about it, as small as a grouse chick is, to a turkey, just moving protein. I'm sure coons and other predators take their share as well. Been a long time since I heard one drumming.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts