Groundhogs

woodchuckc

I've got three of them in my front yard, digging burrows under the trees near my creek bank. I need to sit out in the yard with my 17HMR and take care of them, but dang they are wary! They can see me 100 yards away and off they go running full speed to their holes.

Wobblyshot1

Back in the 60s when I was a teen I bought a Savage model 65m 22 magnum from Ted's in Columbia for the specific purpose of hunting groundhogs. They were everywhere back then in Maury County and farmers nearly always gave use permission to hunt them....Man, those were shining times.

woodswise

I know I became a much better hunter when groundhogs were plentiful. I trained my eyes to scan the edges of fields trying to spot them and they were very good rifle practice when it came to estimating yardage in big bean fields where I hunted them most often. I had farmers that would often help pay for reloading supplies when I came to hunt because they would eat more beans than the shells cost easily. I had a circuit I would travel most evenings I had time that provided a great time outdoors. I took some time last summer and traveled some of those same routes and never spotted a single whistle pig. I guess the coyote invasion took them out. You'd be surprised how good they were barbecued!

TNPredator

Ok, lets open this forum and get some chatter going.

I propose that we put our heads together and find where we all can find predators to hunt in the area that you live in and share/pair up on hunts.

I'm in N.E. TN, Carter Co, around Johnson City, Elizabethton, Kingsport - all within 20 miles of me. I hunt Ground Hogs, Coyotes, Bobcat, Skunks, Oppossum, Raccoon and that's ALL I hunt.
I have a .17HMR rifle that I use from 50-300 yds with a kill ratio of 4 out of 5 kills.
WHERE do i find critters (in season) to hunt. I'm retired and have all the time in the world to setup near a site and hunt different areas for weeks.
Oh, I need a partner for some coyote hunts to switch off 'spotting' and shooting.

Now, you know where I live, what I'm looking for. Lets hear from the rest of you where you live and
what you want to hunt for. Do you have any sites available, know someone that might want some predators taken out...

Latest posts