Food Plots Groundhog Daikon radishes

Boll Weevil

Deer in my area won't touch'em...good for the soil but after trying them a couple of years I now have no expectation of deer eating them.

tree_ghost

We had a plot sowed in daikon radishes a few years ago. We put it in with the intention of having a solid late season food source once the beans were gone. Turns out that the deer hit it harder in the early part of the season, sept-oct, than they did in the colder months of season. I actually almost shot a 6.5+yo buck out of that patch of radishes. All in all they attracted the deer well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

They will not overwinter. They turn to mush after they freeze out, which is why they're so good for the soil. I wouldn't plant them alone but they have a place as a small component in mixes.

spoon

Deer will hammer them in Oct until acorns start falling. Radishes will live until we get about 3-4
Days below 20 degrees

PickettSFHunter

Mine are in for the Fall. I mix radishes, purple top turnips, and seven top turnips and plant those around the end of July, first couple of weeks of August. I see browse on radish before Frost and browse on all of it after frosts. Different situations everywhere though.

Grnwing

I've never seen them do any better than wheat or peas. I have neighbors that swear by them and talked me into trying them for a few seasons. The would look good but the deer didn't seem to care for them. I'd watch them just walk through a plot and not touch them. Seems like it can be hit or miss with radishes- good luck if you decide to plant.

dirtyhands

I've tried them for the past two years. The deer didn't seem to eat any of them and they definitely didn't dig any of them up in the winter. I may do a little of it in the plot this year just because jve read that it can take a while for the deer to realize that its edible but I'll probably do mostly clover or wheat