Grilled Fish Suggestions.........

TN Larry

Anybody got any suggestions for seasoning to put on grilled fish? Maybe something involving garlic. Has anyone ever put any wood chips inside their grill to get the smoked taste? Seems like I heard someone say this before, but it may not work.

I have grilled it a time or two with Cajun seasoning, and it turned out ok. I am looking for something maybe a little different. I have 6 spotted bass filets in the fridge and trying to decide whether to grill or fry.

jb3

We typically just grill the fish and my wife usually comes up with a dill mayo or something like that to accompany it. If we've got capers handy, she'll use them in someway form or fashion.

wildb1

Have you tried blackening them in an iron skillet? If not you should! BUT, DO IT OUTSIDE, LOTS of SMOKE!
Get the skillet HOT HOT!
Dry the fillets
Melt some real butter in a bowl.
Add the fillets to the butter.
remove from butter and add a coating of Cajun's Choice Blackened Seasoning on one side then place that side down in the HOT HOT skillet.
There will be smoke and it will make you cough if you breathe it!
Season the side that is up while the other side is cooking.
Flip the fillets after 2-3 minutes if they are an inch thick, less time if they are thinner.
Cook another munute or so and they will be done.
Carribean rice goes good with Blackened fish!

JimFromTN

Blackenned fish on a bed of rice with shrimp or crawfish ettouffe poured over the top. Man thats good.

For grilling, try butter, garlic, and lemon juice.

Crosshairy

I've used a roasted garlic & herb seasoning that *I think* is made by Weber that I bought in the store the other day.

I put a heavy coat of it on top of some skin-on salmon fillets last night (that were first dunked in olive oil). I recommend using a bit of oil or some other sauce if you have thick fillets, because the outsides can get too dry while grilling or baking.

I baked this fish on a rack above a cookie sheet, and it worked well. The fish came out great, and the kids liked it (my 5-yr-old isn't big on spicy food).

Crosshairy

TAFKAP said:
www.penzeys.com

Don't worry about sending me a thank-you card.

Lol

I keep meaning to try that place after hearing you guys rant about it. Is it recommended to go to the store, or is figuring out what you want online easy enough?

TAFKAP

Crosshairy said:
TAFKAP said:
www.penzeys.com

Don't worry about sending me a thank-you card.

Lol

I keep meaning to try that place after hearing you guys rant about it. Is it recommended to go to the store, or is figuring out what you want online easy enough?

Since you are within a 30 minute drive of a store, definitely take some time to drop in. Make sure it's soon after payday. They have all sorts of sample jars out to sniff and taste. The cinnamon will knock your socks off.....it makes everything else you've ever seen taste like sawdust.

You'll walk out wondering how you spent so much money. Here are our favorites that MUST be stocked in the pantry at all times:

1) Black & Red: a blend of ground tellicherry black pepper and cayenne
2) Mural of Flavor: all sorts of herbage.....good on just about everything
3) Cinnamon: nothing to add here
4) Shallot Pepper: sort of like lemon pepper, but with an onion twist to it
5) Northwoods Fire: a smoky paprika based seasoning, but with a kick (as opposed to the tame version...plain jane Northwoods)

But just walk around sniffing the jars. Taste a few of them, and see what you come up with. Their spices are incredibly good, incredibly potent, and will have you coming up with new stuff to cook just to use the new spices.

Crosshairy

I just ate lunch and you guys are making me hungry...

Fortunately (in a sense), my wife is mildly allergic to cinnamon, so we rarely have any in the house. Although I certainly like it, I can use her allergy as an excuse to save some money on buying that particular spice :)

mike243

wildb1 I get the skillet as hot as possible then drop the stick of butter in & stand back,then throw the preseasoned on both side fish in,makes the best catfish I have ever eaten!,big flame when the butter hits the pan lol but it adds something to it imo

TN Larry

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up baking but seasoned with my own concoction of olive oil, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and lemon juice served with garlic butter, dirty rice, and macaroni. Was pretty good to say the least!

Latest posts