Greyboe outlander/ Hawkins bottom metal

lungpuncher1

I recently purchased a greyboe outlander stock and Hawkins bottom mental for a short action Remington 700. The stock is awesome. I have McMillans and love them but for half the price of a McMillan I'm impressed.

However the inlet area where the floor plate is seems recessed and it creates a lip on the floor plate. Everything else fits like a glove. Anyone seen anything like this before? Will i have to get it inletted deeper or will factory bdl bottom metal fit better? I'm kinda at a lost. Maybe I should just leave it be. But that lip looks horrible to me.

f75970b2ec60cacde5b49c37507994fe.jpg
c7e759ae40ba4623fbb577531d1307e0.jpg
13403aafb449d79baa3fbcf0c89d054e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

280longshot

Re: Greyboe outlander/ Hawkins bottom metal

I had to look several times because that just doesnt look right. I wouldnt be happy either!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mr.big

try the factory bottom metal and if it looks the same the stock isnt right,,,the stock may be meant for bottom metal that takes a detachable magazine,,but it isnt supposed to look like that with regular BDL metal and if it does I would call and ask them about it,,

lungpuncher1

I've already sent an email to redhawk rifles where i bought everything. He's going to check it out asap when he can. He seemed eager to figure it out.

I don't have any factory bdl bottom metal for a short action right now to try or I would. I'm hoping I can just send this back for a new stock and bottom metal that fits BEFORE they ship it to me.

mr.big

the metal looks right,I believe it is supposed to be straight like that,,it would have to curve up to fit that stock,

lungpuncher1

Maybe it's the stock then. Spoke with a few other guys with the same stock and they said theirs doesn't look like that with factory bottom metal. For some reason the stock has a recess where the floor plate is.

mr.big

they should just swap stocks with you,,

I like the looks of that metal,,

what trigger is that??

lungpuncher1

mr.big":gx1b6wvt said:
they should just swap stocks with you,,

I like the looks of that metal,,

what trigger is that??
It's a timney 510.

Rifle started out as a plain sps 7mm08. I'm getting it coated, the barrel cut down to 22 or 20 inches and thinking about putting a swaro 3-9x36 on it. Going to make it my dedicated mountain rifle. It surprisingly shoots 1/2 moa all day long. The original plan for it was a donor action eventually but im keeping as is.

TNRifleman

lungpuncher1":31queror said:
Maybe it's the stock then. Spoke with a few other guys with the same stock and they said theirs doesn't look like that with factory bottom metal. For some reason the stock has a recess where the floor plate is.

I have had a Grayboe with factory bottom metal and it was perfectly flush.

I too really liked the quality of the Grayboe stock for the price but it was a little heavier than I would have liked for a synthetic stock.

lungpuncher1

TNRifleman":2mfokz9v said:
lungpuncher1":2mfokz9v said:

I too really liked the quality of the Grayboe stock for the price but it was a little heavier than I would have liked for a synthetic stock.
Was it the outlander or one of the other models?

TNRifleman

lungpuncher1":14o5bzvq said:
TNRifleman":14o5bzvq said:
lungpuncher1":14o5bzvq said:

It was an Outlander. I bought mine when they were just introduced. They only made long actions at the time I believe. I bought from Grayboe on their site.

hunter0925

I have several greyboe stocks but mine all take the detachable magazine. The stocks do fine for my intention even though they are heavier than a McMillan. Redhawk is a great company to deal with and they have great customer service from my experience. I wouldn't be satisfied the way that looks either.

WGK

Mine too seems a little heavy,but for the price they are awesome stocks. Mine is a long action and it fits flush. I am sure Redhawk will make it right.

lungpuncher1

Talked to redhawk this morning. Looks like I'm going to send everything back in exchange for a McMillan classic stock and Remington bdl bottom metal. Only having to add an extra 150 with the sale they are having.

tndanny

lungpuncher1":3jtsngxe said:
TNRifleman":3jtsngxe said:
lungpuncher1":3jtsngxe said:

Lungpuncher, who was guy that did your bolt ?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tndanny

lungpuncher1":a4qalt49 said:
I recently purchased a greyboe outlander stock and Hawkins bottom mental for a short action Remington 700. The stock is awesome. I have McMillans and love them but for half the price of a McMillan I'm impressed.

However the inlet area where the floor plate is seems recessed and it creates a lip on the floor plate. Everything else fits like a glove. Anyone seen anything like this before? Will i have to get it inletted deeper or will factory bdl bottom metal fit better? I'm kinda at a lost. Maybe I should just leave it be. But that lip looks horrible to me.

I orded one for my 28 nosler build. Everything fit perfect.

lungpuncher1

tndanny":2qzuhk5b said:
lungpuncher1":2qzuhk5b said:

I orded one for my 28 nosler build. Everything fit perfect.

Long rifles did the bolt fluting.

Did you use factory remington bottom metal on your greyboe? Was it an outlander? I'm thinking the Hawkings bottom metal is the issue.

TiminTN

Looking at pictures, the Hawkins bottom metal has a much deeper flange into the magazine well over a factory piece. I`d agree its the bottom metal.

Latest posts