• Help Support TNDeer:

Great reason to own stock!

Omega

I got in on a fund (PRMTX) at just the right time a few months ago and it went up 64%, it hasn't been doing well this month but seeing the past performance, it is likely to keep doing well. Two others ( PRSGX, PRFDX) did almost as well (+60%) but I was already in those so only added a few hundred more to each. I haven't got into the individual stocks, I am more of a fire and forget investor vs trader. As to bonds, the Army got me into some back in the mid 80s, never doing those again, well, at least not until my 2030 fund starts going less volatile.

TNTreeman

Real estate for Me too. Next to nothing in the market. Everything in bricks, mortar , and dirt. I rarely ever sale anything though.

GreyGoose

Wish that there was a dummy guide to investing.Some of us (Me for sure ) haven’t a clue of we’re to even begin to start.Don’t have a ton to start with but got something

TNGunsmoke

Wish that there was a dummy guide to investing.Some of us (Me for sure ) haven’t a clue of we’re to even begin to start.Don’t have a ton to start with but got something
Yeah, me too. I started with Robinhood, and I throw a little $20 a week at it. I started with Ford, GE, Gerdeau, and an ETF that pays out monthly. Set it to reinvest whatever dividends, and I've added a few penny stocks just to see what kind of return they'll produce. I haven't even turned on options trading, because I don't understand it well enough to roll that dice. I'm up a bit overall in the 2 months I've been playing around. Looking at a few low cost, higher dividend stocks to add next week and see how it works out.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn’t invest in single stocks. If you want the easiest, I have a fidelity account, I simply buy FSKAX - Total stock market fund. YTD up 15%. If it goes to zero, the world has gone to the crapper.
I do subscribe to the idea of adding an international funds, with aggressive growth, etc as well. However you mentioned simple. Right now 75% of everything I have is in fskax. It’s going pretty well.

ChippewaPartners

One of my favorite things to share with stock market investors is the following phrase.

"People get out of the stock market exactly what they want to get out of the stock market."

One thing I can say for sure is that if you want winning performance out of your investments you better be prepared to do the work and know that losses are the cost of doing business.

Whether you feel the stock market is a gamblers paradise or a safe haven for the long term to increase your purchasing power in years to come, you will probably get from the market what you want. If you want to do the work, put in the time, suffer the pain of declining markets and have some success remember, no one cares more than you about your money. Get in that relationship with your goals. Know that preparation eliminates fear. The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare.

You can't stop hard work, preparation and attitude. Success isn't owned, it's leased and rent is due every day. It's not how life happens to us. It's how we happen in life.

Remember, God feeds the birds but God doesn't drop worms into the nest.

Bone Collector

Supporter
the indexes have pretty much averaged 8% gains year over year since they were created. if the market ever crashes and doesnt recover we will have big problems.
this is true, but hasn't happened yet. It always recovers, but you just don't earn anything in the recovery. More or less just fight to get back to where you were pre crash. If that does happen we will have bigger things to worry about than money...

WTM

this is true, but hasn't happened yet. It always recovers, but you just don't earn anything in the recovery. More or less just fight to get back to where you were pre crash. If that does happen we will have bigger things to worry about than money...
lol, what i was trying to say but didnt come out right.

the older you get or closer to returement the more less risk the investment mix to protect against less recovery time.

Latest posts