Great Gun News

Nimrod777

Several years ago my Father-In-Law passed, a retired full-bird Air Force colonel. He had not always been what you would oonsider a good, faithful father and husband, but as he aged and mellowed, my wife decided that she wanted to work to develop even a long-distance relationship with him. Eventually they reached the point of a short phone call nightly, she in TN, he in FL. It was a huge blessing to her.

When he did pass, as they cleaned out his belongings, they found a few firearms, some they didn't even know existed. My wife called and asked if I'd rather have a deer rifle or a .22, and while I LOVE .22s, at the time I sure could have used a centerfire rifle, so I ended up with a pump Remington in 6mm, slightly rusty, but quite serviceable with an old Weaver scope on it. The .22 went to her sister's family.

When my wife and I shoot, her favorite by far is the .22 Browning Buckmark pistol I bought for her. Since my SIL's/BIL's family consists of 3 daughters living the city life in NY, NJ, and VA, I sent my BIL a message under the radar saying that if nobody there was married to that old .22, I knew it would be very meaningful for my wife to have it, and I would gladly trade/replace the gun with whatever he would like. And I wanted above all NOT to make family waves with the request.

Well he just wrote back today saying, sure, nobody here is tied to it, and whatever rare shooting he does is with one of his son-in-laws busting some clays. He's planning to bring it with him at the end of April when they come into the area. PTL!

So, once I find out if he would rather have a clay-buster or a plinker, I'll be in the market to buy a swapper. For now, I'm simply thrilled to pull this off without starting a family fight.

Bowdacious

That is very nice of you and his family. I'm sure no one would think my Granny's gun was worth much but it is worth the world to me. I sense that your wife will feel the same way about her new rifle.