Great Bird point

wobblegobble

PXL_20220501_232836920.jpg

Dbllunger

It's a very nice find but I don't think that would be considered a bird point at that size. It seems too big. Here are two bird points that I found in Arkansas within 20 yards of each other. One in 2017 and the other in 2018 while on a duck hunting trip. The other point is there just for reference because it's similar in size and shape to yours. I found it in Murfreesboro near the Stones River.
20220502_145345.jpg
20220502_150204.jpg

CATCHDAWG

It's a very nice find but I don't think that would be considered a bird point at that size. It seems too big. Here are two bird points that I found in Arkansas within 20 yards of each other. One in 2017 and the other in 2018 while on a duck hunting trip. The other point is there just for reference because it's similar in size and shape to yours. I found it in Murfreesboro near the Stones River.View attachment 135921View attachment 135922
The term "bird point" is pretty common to collectors. However, there's actually no such thing. The majority of points that people find are atlatl points and blades. The little points that folks refer to as bird points are actual arrow heads. As @Crow Terminator stated the point in the pic is a Hamilton and would date to late woodland/early Mississippian and would be on a arrow. Imagine some of the more common points found that are much larger and heavier on the end of a arrow using a literal stick and string. They wouldn't be very effective, but they would be with a atlatl. The opposite holds true for "bird points"/true arrowheads, they wouldn't work with a atlatl but very effective from a bow.

Latest posts