Great article on the dangers of feeding corn

DoubleRidge

is there anywhere i can buy certified feed corn? time and resources are my limitations on the food plots. i have a very small area to hunt that i planned to feed. 7 acres

I'm not aware of any locations to buy certified feed corn? You may check with your local co-op and ask them.... Recommendation is to set feeder to a minimum application rate to prevent excess feed from staying on ground....thought being it gets consumed before molding....Purina also makes a deer feed....but that's going to get expensive.

wilsonj

The most game rich country my eyes have ever seen is the Texas hill country. 31,000 sq miles, whitetails, turkeys and exotics running in every direction. I'd guess more corn has been fed to there wildlife than anywhere in the country for the last let's say 30 years. There doing just fine.
Good point.

Levee Jumper

Haha. You must have not read anything, or one of the people I talk about that don't listen or care.

We get about nearly 20" more average rainfall than they do.

Can't explain it to people that don't want to listen. So I won't go any further.
As much as I hate it, the average public is just grossly ignorant. We don't have a lot of hope…..

DoubleRidge

Pretty dry in the Texas hill country. It takes moisture to cause mold. Rain and plenty of shade promote mold. Not much of that found there. A 100 pound mound of corn in the hardwoods of tn is much different that from a feeder in direct sunlight in Texas IMO.

Agree... completely different climate in Texas.....and in Texas only certified aflatoxin free corn is available... sadly that's not the case in Tennessee.

wilsonj

Pretty dry in the Texas hill country. It takes moisture to cause mold. Rain and plenty of shade promote mold. Not much of that found there. A 100 pound mound of corn in the hardwoods of tn is much different that from a feeder in direct sunlight
Pretty dry in the Texas hill country. It takes moisture to cause mold. Rain and plenty of shade promote mold. Not much of that found there. A 100 pound mound of corn in the hardwoods of tn is much different that from a feeder in direct sunlight in Texas IMO.
I understand your point also with the drier climate. There are not many hunters that bait around my neck of the woods anyway. I know I don't can't afford it.

megalomaniac

so, if i buy "deer corn" from tsc, place it in a broadcast feeder set on timers, will aflatoxin still be an issue? isnt the deer corn certified aflatoxin free? have never done this but was considering it this year. if not feeding with corn, what other feed would you use?
It depends on how long the corn sits in the feeder and relative humidity...

In the winter, probably no issue at all... but in the summer with high humidity, a 200lb feeder filled to the brim set to dispense 3 or 4 lbs daily is likely going to be chocked full of aflatoxin in less than a month (if the weavels don't turn it to mush before then).

If you are going to feed/bait, keep it off the ground and don't fill it with more than will be dispensed in a week or two at the most then refill. Better yet, don't feed at all.

Latest posts