• Help Support TNDeer:

Grass or grain fed

cathunter

Fixing to take a steer to have processed. Which do you all prefer grain fed or straight off pasture?

WG3

Depends on whether or not you have good grass. Generally speaking grass fed will have less fat. But some prefer the flavor. I think they are personally a little tougher and prefer grain fed.

TX300mag

Grass finishing beef is a learned skill that comes with experience. I’m raising mine on grass, but will rely on someone with experience before actually processing. I’ve had grass-finished that was fantastic and grass-finished that was terrible.i suspect the age of the animal was usually a factor.

From a health standpoint the benefits of grass-finished beef are well documented. Taste is a matter of preference. Most people are conditioned to the flavor and texture of feedlot beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

In my opinion grass fed beef desirability got started by farmers who wanted more profit. It's basically free to let a steer eat grass until they haul it to the slaughter house to butcher and sell. Grain cost's money. When we sold calves for slaughter we fed them alfalfa hay, and either corn we crushed in our hammer mill or sweetfeed from the CO-OP and of course they were allowed to graze all the grass they wanted too. I've never eaten a better steak than what we used to grow. We did this all my life until I was 47 when we sold all the cows.

TX300mag

Hunter 257W":3dwxr25g said:
In my opinion grass fed beef desirability got started by farmers who wanted more profit. It's basically free to let a steer eat grass until they haul it to the slaughter house to butcher and sell. Grain cost's money. When we sold calves for slaughter we fed them alfalfa hay, and either corn we crushed in our hammer mill or sweetfeed from the CO-OP and of course they were allowed to graze all the grass they wanted too. I've never eaten a better steak than what we used to grow. We did this all my life until I was 47 when we sold all the cows.
Profit is a good enough reason, but grass-fed cattle needs more time to finish-often another winter which means more hay and/or seasonal graze. This equates to more graze/land required per animal (which would be true even if the animal was slaughtered at the same age).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts