Grass help...

TreyB

So last spring I aerated my yard and brought in good top soil, reseeded it and strawed the entire yard. Looked really good for most of the summer (babied it all summer with water) then our mowing crew cut it to low and now it looks really bad!!! Big brown spots in it. Do I need to do it all over again to get it to grow green again???

TreyB

Or is there something I can put down to help without repeating the process? Lime?

DaveB

With fescue you can rake out the dead stuff, rough the soil, spread the seed, cover, tamp, water.

As an opinion, I don't think cutting fescue short is a recommended tactic. Matter of fact, I think shaving a lawn close is the recommended way to kill fescue. I may be alone in this perspective but I like my fescue to wave in the wind.

I also always bag my clippings, even with this zoysia stuff and fescue for positive sure.

I always lime every 2nd year and with the soil I have in Shelby County it probably ought to be every week. Best way is to get a test kit and test the acidity and go from there.

Wobblyshot1

DaveB is right. Cut fescue high. It makes for a pretty lawn but having one in Tennessee is tough. I've always heard Tennessee is too far south for the northern grasses and too far north for the southern ones.

TreyB

DaveB":1hzesp28 said:
With fescue you can rake out the dead stuff, rough the soil, spread the seed, cover, tamp, water.

As an opinion, I don't think cutting fescue short is a recommended tactic. Matter of fact, I think shaving a lawn close is the recommended way to kill fescue. I may be alone in this perspective but I like my fescue to wave in the wind.

I also always bag my clippings, even with this zoysia stuff and fescue for positive sure.

I always lime every 2nd year and with the soil I have in Shelby County it probably ought to be every week. Best way is to get a test kit and test the acidity and go from there.

I always have my grass crew cut it high but accidently cut it short one time last summer and it hurt it pretty bad... Should I lime now?

smalljawbasser

Soil test it first, and come up with a program to apply the correct amount of lime. Your local ag extension agent can help.

Its hard to give recommendations about grass without knowing soil types, amount of shade, etc but as others have said fescue can be difficult. Personally, I like bluegrass and bluegrass/fescue mixes better for lawns.

I'd do the soil test, apply lime in the fall and fertilizer in the spring based off what the test results tell you. Every Labor Day I'd overseed a good quality bluegrass on Labor Day weekend.

Don't buy your seed at lowes or Home Depot. All they have is 10 different kinds of the same fescue. Google search bluegrass and you'll learn a lot and find a good supplier of you go that route.

Latest posts