Grapevines

S

Smo

When I moved here in 09’ I planted 5 Concord grapevines .

When they started to produce grapes they did well for the first 3 or 4 years .

For the last couple years they will devolope grapes and
just as they start to ripen
They dry up or the vines.

Some of the leaves appear to have been eaten on leaving a dried out
dead leaf with hundreds of little holes in them.

I’ve looked for insects but haven’t seen any.

I did spray them last year with spray the local CO- OP but that didn’t seem to help.

What do any of you do to keep your vines healthy?

It’s not to late to prune is it?

I’m starting to finish off my home jelly and need a good crop this year.

B

brass magnet

I'd prune them soon and when they leaf out spray Neem oil. While I was waiting for leaves, I'd call Josh Bates at Bates nursery over by Fontana, think it's brick church pike, and check if it's Neem oil, pretty sure that's it.

pressfit

pressfit

I've often wondered why the grapes that are grown around here never taste like the ones in the store? We grew them for years.. the part between the skin and the center is good, the skin is usually like leather and the center is bitter as Quine!!

Good time Charlie

Good time Charlie

It is the soil
same reason our Bucks don't grow as big as Kentucky's the DIRT....I guess "'I don't know"
:eek: :shock: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :oops: :2c:

DaveB

DaveB

it is the dirt first and about 100 different things afterwards. You have heard of Champagne, yes? Only grapes grown in very specific parts of France can be called champagne, the rest are sparkling wine. Is the Dirt. NOTHING produced anywhere else is the real stuff.

I do not think you can grow edible grapes in Tennessee. You maybe won't die if you eat one but you may wish you had. I have tasted a few, including what my wife tried to grow. Vicious bite you back taste, nasty as raw pigs feet. Bite spit dry heave. Nasty.

We even tried containers. Nope. Grapes need to grow several years and you need to trim them every year fruiting or not. Grapes sunburn as do many fruits so that may be the source of the inedible skin. I'd rather grow blackberries like BP does. he has some big as cantaloupe, makes wine and probably eats them with ice cream.

RS

RS

I have 4 Concord grape vines at my house in DeKalb County and I think the grapes are really good. On my family farm in Humphreys County, we had grape vines that we transplanted from my mothers homeplace in Crossville. I wish I knew what variety they were because they were awesome. They died a few years back from lack of care.

I also grow muscadines, and I would much rather have them over grapes.

S

Smo

Mine are Concord too.

The first few years the produced the tasted great, skins were a little tough,
But for juice , jelly or wine they were fantastic .

When I ate them off the vine I would squeeze the juice and insides of the grape in my
Mouth and discard the skin.

I have two thornless blackberry plants that do well here ....

pressfit

pressfit

So.. if I traveled to grapeland.. brought back a load of special dirt.. I could have "store bought" grapes ??

Latest posts