GPS units for hunting?

Boone 58

Hey can someone enlighten me as to the best gps units for the money on the market. I would mainly be using it for the state of tn. but i understand just enough to be confused. Any one use them consistently and what is the best unit for the price, not necessarily the most expensive. Opinions welcome.

TNHunter2521

[size] [/size] [font:Times New Roman][size][color:#CC0000] [/color] [size]Any idea as to how much the Garmin Rino costs? Is the Garmin easy to program? The radio has what type of range to it? [/size][/size][/font]

Boone 58

I use my cell phone exclusively for comm. we are halfway between two cities with towers and have coverage over 90% of the lease. We text mostly, works great and is silent.

gil1

I really like the Lowrance iFinder series (I have an Expedition C). I understand that there's a way to download extra mapping software off the internet on Garmin's, but the software you buy in stores for them is bottom of the barrel. Thir maps suck, but their units are good.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I like the Garmins. Have a Garmin 76CSx (pricy but many less expensive models available). I have had some luck finding map programs that interact with the Garmin products. Additionally, I can download google map directions into my Garmin or save Google Earth/Maps to cache on my computer and get a realtime update as I am travelling (with the puter in the truck). When Im out hunting though, i dont use the GPS for navagating, stick to the paper map with that and use the GPS to verify/pinpoint my location...to much Army training using a map and a compass, in my comfort zone with paper maps.

As for the Rino's, look at the radio range and cut those down to about 10% of whats advertised...in the early days of OIF when we were using the motorola handhelds they were advertised at 7 miles...lucky to reach 1/2 mile.

Buzzard Breath

TN RDG RNR said:
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=22&Number=1382322&Searchpage=1&Main=102328&Words=+TN+RDG+RNR&topic=0&Search=true#Post1382322

Simple to use, US topo software, carrying case, reasonable price and did mention like new.
This is a pretty good deal. After alot of research, I just bought this same set-up. Paid more than $150 for it. Mine finds satelites from my basement and is pretty easy to learn.

DMD

I'll have a Garmin handheld GPS for sale in a few days. Brand new in the box. I bought a Scope/GPS combo. I don't need the GPS, I've got one already. I'll make you a good deal on it when it arrives in the mail if you're interested.

holstonangler

I 2nd any of the Ifinders by lowrance. Just make sure the Mapcreate Topo software is installed. I've used one for years and has definately keeped my from getting lost.

Boone 58

i want one that is using topos of course and have little interest if it communicates as a radio.....I need the mapping part of it to see terrain as i go.