GPS suggestions

turk870

ive got the cheap garmin.and just got the oregon 450t used it in the smokies like it but it eats battaries bad..the cheap one worked good and was easy to learn to use,and it didnt eat battaries.

ghosthunter

I recommend the Garmin 60csx. This model use to run about $400-$500 until a newer generation came out. I think I picked mine up for about $225 one day I caught it on sale and I believe you still can find them on sale just because another model took it's place. It's a solid GPS with a high sensitive receiver that is designed for canyon / heavy canopy use. Meaning that it will pick up on satellites much faster than other gps units (very valuable). It has an electronic compass plus many other features that I never use, such as marine hardware compatibility. My favorite is being able to download topo maps to it. You can go to gpsfilesdepot.com and download 1:24k maps for free. Awesome tool!

DMD

A few things I think you want to look for imo when buying a handheld GPS:

1. Is it capable of having TOPO maps loaded on it? Topo maps are definite plus with a gps.

2. This usually ties in with #1 - but does it have a mini sd slot for expanded memory

3. Does it have a lighting scheme so you can see the screen in daylight

4. If buying new, I'd get one with electronic compass

5. High sensitive receiver - biggest problem I have with my old one, is loosing signal in canopy.

Andy S.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Pursuit Hunter

As a land broker, I use a GPS almost daily to find my way around property I'm showing. The Garmin 62 series is the best there is. The 62 series replaced the 60 series mentioned above.

I've never lost a signal in thick overhead canopy or deep hollows or cloudy days. It supports downloadable 7.5 minute topo maps and aerial imagery. I have the 62s that includes an electronic compass, which I would recommend. They are at the high end of the handheld GPS market, but well worth the money.

I wouldn't spend the money to get the version with pre-installed 15 minute topo basemap. It isn't detailed enough.

Winchester

Depends what you want from it? You can go from the $50 1 button simplest out there, to all the features you care to learn and use?

LIL JOKER

joe i bought mine with the topo software and set it up with the maps i have on my computer..when i get a area at ft campbell i will look at topo maps of the area and then view the air map to make sure its not open fields or clearcuts etc...last yr when i used it the first time in area 09a i found a saddle on the topo and enter the cords into my gps next morn i hiked almost a mile and set up on this saddle and right at day break had 5 does come over the saddle..

thejetman

If you have a IPhone you don't need one! I use an app from Trimble Outdoors. It lets you save all of your adventures in real time. You can add waypoints, pictures, backtrack, compass, replay every step you take, all in real time. Plus, if you are like me and need a visual referance, It overlays your trips onto google earth so you can mark all those hotspots on a map. Its really slick, and the best part, its FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Pursuit Hunter

thejetman said:
If you have a IPhone you don't need one! I use an app from Trimble Outdoors. It lets you save all of your adventures in real time. You can add waypoints, pictures, backtrack, compass, replay every step you take, all in real time. Plus, if you are like me and need a visual referance, It overlays your trips onto google earth so you can mark all those hotspots on a map. Its really slick, and the best part, its FREE!!!!!!!!!!
Keep in mind that the app is only as good as the gps receiver in your phone and your data signal. I have used a blackberry and a Razr Maxx phone with various mapping apps. They work great in some situations, not at all in others. If you are going to be in remote areas, or in steep, wooded terrain, you may run into problems with your phone finding your location. I wouldn't rely on it as my primary navigation device if you are going to get out in the boonies and will need it to get back.

thejetman

Pursuit Hunter said:
thejetman said:
Keep in mind that the app is only as good as the gps receiver in your phone and your data signal. I have used a blackberry and a Razr Maxx phone with various mapping apps. They work great in some situations, not at all in others. If you are going to be in remote areas, or in steep, wooded terrain, you may run into problems with your phone finding your location. I wouldn't rely on it as my primary navigation device if you are going to get out in the boonies and will need it to get back.

This is true, but if your budget does not allow you to get a major purchase, free is always good. Its a great tool to have no doubt about that, but that app is slicker than weasel crap if it works in your area.

Latest posts