GPS handheld

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
Ok so has anyone have any experience with a good GPS handheld they use for hunting ? I need one but where I will be using it they are zero phone service . Does anyone have any experience with a good one or bad one to say away from?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

Re: GPS handheld

I have 3 different Garmins. They have saved my butt more than once. I think it is foolish to rely on a cell phone that can go dead and must be charged when a Garmin uses replaceable AA batteries.
I have an etrex 30 and an etrex 35 touch. I highly advise getting the touch screen. It is very user friendly.

csi-tech

My Garmin Dakota 20 has been bullet proof. Touch screen and takes a beating. I had a Garmin Emap back in the day. I love their units.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled

jlanecr500":2jsd6hs3 said:
I have 3 different Garmins. They have saved my butt more than once. I think it is foolish to rely on a cell phone that can go dead and must be charged when a Garmin uses replaceable AA batteries.
I have an etrex 30 and an etrex 35 touch. I highly advise getting the touch screen. It is very user friendly.
When in use on the touch screen does the touch screen lock where like if you put it in your pocket it want turn it off or something else

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

Yes, you can lock the screen.

I have 2 non touch Garmins and they are a pain to operate. I have US topo maps but tend not to use them because the screen is small. I typically create a waypoint at the truck or wherever I park the sxs or 4 wheeler. Record my tracks while I walk and create waypoints where I hunt. Then I import the tracks and waypoints into Google earth and view them on my pc.

I used to be on a pine tree lease that was a sea of trees. My hunting partner wanted to find a hardwood bottom we saw on Google earth so we started walking from the 4 wheelers and found it. Coming out in the dark was a trick because of briars. We were constantly twisting and turning as we went thru the pines and briars. If not for the Garmin we would have spent the night out there.

ImThere

jlanecr500":1z42lvv3 said:
I used to be on a pine tree lease that was a sea of trees. My hunting partner wanted to find a hardwood bottom we saw on Google earth so we started walking from the 4 wheelers and found it. Coming out in the dark was a trick because of briars. We were constantly twisting and turning as we went thru the pines and briars. If not for the Garmin we would have spent the night out there.
This is what got me wanting one. I went on a pig hunt last year in Georgia. Ft Stewart is like 120,000 acres. I left my truck in the morning darkness went hunting as daylight faded in to darkness again I had a phone with a dead battery, limited reception and a truck I had no idea where it was. Lol. I found it at 10pm at night hungry, tired, and wet. I got a handheld that is hard to use and not touch screen given to me by a buddy o need to upgrade before February lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

ImThere":3mhi5xdo said:
jlanecr500":3mhi5xdo said:
This is what got me wanting one. I went on a pig hunt last year in Georgia. Ft Stewart is like 120,000 acres. I left my truck in the morning darkness went hunting as daylight faded in to darkness again I had a phone with a dead battery, limited reception and a truck I had no idea where it was. Lol. I found it at 10pm at night hungry, tired, and wet. I got a handheld that is hard to use and not touch screen given to me by a buddy o need to upgrade before February lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there and it's no fun.

Whatever you buy, make sure it uses AA batteries so you can carry spares.

I also bought a ram mount to mount the unit in my SXS or 4-wheeler too.

Latest posts